The Student Room Group

Asylum seekers to be offered scholarships at the University of Bristol

REFUGEES and asylum seekers could get a free place at one of Britain’s top universities alongside a new wave of British students struggling to cope with the burden of huge student debts.

Russell Group member Bristol University has offered scholarships and softened the application process for refugees and asylum seekers as part of a scheme to integrate those escaping conflict into education.

Professor Hugh Brady, Vice-Chancellor of the University of Bristol, said: "We know there are factors that make it difficult for people from refugee and asylum-seeking communities to apply to university.

“Their previous studies may have been interrupted, they might not have evidence of their previous qualifications or their qualifications are not transferable.

Read More:
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/702324/migrants-refugees-asylum-seekers-bristol-university-free-scholarship-education-tuition-fee
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

This might just be the most awful title of all time. I felt like I had accidentally stumbled onto the daily mail.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lucabrasi98
This might just be the most awfully title of all time. I felt like I had accidentally stumbled onto the daily mail.

This seems like a pretty good idea to me. It will mean the new arrivals will become more educated amd integrated, leading to higer paying jobs. Thus, this could prevent the poverty trap, with second gen immigrants growing up absorbed in British culture rather than feeling hostile to it.

You would also complain that these immigrants and refugees are a burden on the benefits system, yet condemn a means by which they could become self sufficient.
Original post by simbasdragon
This seems like a pretty good idea to me. It will mean the new arrivals will become more educated amd integrated, leading to higer paying jobs. Thus, this could prevent the poverty trap, with second gen immigrants growing up absorbed in British culture rather than feeling hostile to it.

You would also complain that these immigrants and refugees are a burden on the benefits system, yet condemn a means by which they could become self sufficient.

But they do not need some top tier education, send them to college or something or have centers for this
This is disgusting.

Give them student finance like the rest of us, it'll encourage them to actually get a job after uni. Or better yet, send them to a college to learn a practical skill.
Oh phew! It's only Bristol. When I read your title I thought it would be Oxbridge, UCL and Imperial giving out free STEM degrees :colonhash:
They'll fund it by increasing the fees for other students.
I thought they were all doctors and engineers already?
Bristol is the best place for them to absorb British culture. They'll become just like the current crop of not-quite-Oxbridge-second-rate-public-school-alumni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by simbasdragon

That's like saying I should become a criminal degenerate until the government gives me free money to pacify my bad behaviour.
I'm in a lot of debt from university and this doesn't bother me. I would much, much would rather keep this debt than experience war and terror. The university is a private-run business and can decide on making charitable decisions like this, as these people no longer have a stable country with a government that will help to fund their studies (like most international students do).

This will actually help to integrate them into society, as education goes a long way. I say good for Bristol University :thumbsup:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lucabrasi98
This might just be the most awfully title of all time. I felt like I had accidentally stumbled onto the daily mail.

It's the Express so not really far off. Maybe even worse.

Also:
"We know there are factors that make it difficult for people from refugee and asylum-seeking communities to apply to university."

The same-said factor's that make it next to impossible for a working-class student to eat the ****-sandwich which is student debt and lack of full time employment to pay for a degree with no support network?

Torn. On the one hand refugees definitely not had an easy time of things, but should they get effectively free degrees when British students are just as disadvantaged when it comes to further education?

I dunno.

Easy way out though, universities are basically private business' now so a business can offer it's services and products to whomever it wishes for whatever price it desires.
Bristol's decision to make!
To be fair bristol actually have a tuition fee waiver for poor students or at least they did two years ago.And when you say britons I think you mean the english pretty sure welsh snd scottish students dont pay 9 grand.
Well it's their choice as a uni.
PPP = Privileged, Pampered Princesses

That's what the people complaining about this sound like. Say what you want about the SLC but they are the least of my worries, definitely not a "struggle". For one thing, they do not appear on your credit score so that takes away the pressure from paying it all of right away. For another, the amount that they take from your salary is barely noticeable. They took less than £30 from mine when I was earning more than £32k. If a very small portion of people who are already at a huge disadvantage, hence less likely to go to uni are being exempt from paying that less than £30 a month to give them some of the encouragement and motivation that they need, I'm not about to whine about it.

Sure, free education would be nice, but you get what you vote for. The refugees didn't vote the Tories into government.
Reply 15
Original post by 1010marina
This is disgusting.

Give them student finance like the rest of us, it'll encourage them to actually get a job after uni. Or better yet, send them to a college to learn a practical skill.

What about refugees that hold medicinal degrees in their own countries which don't count over here? More intelligent than most people seeking an education and if they have the brain but not the means (and were bombed, watched their mum die, sister get raped) then why not?
Original post by Wōden
War and terror is exactly what you will experience in the not too distant future if this flood from the third world is not stemmed very soon.

These free handouts will ultimately just encourage more and more of them to come to Europe.

Unless you haven't noticed: this is only for people who have the status of a refugee, it's actually difficult to claim asylum in the UK. Henceforth, the UK takes less refugees than a number of other countries, both in Europe and the Middle East.

It's not like they can just waltz in and get refugee status tomorrow. For some people it will take decades.
(edited 7 years ago)
Good. They wouldn't be able to afford university otherwise as they aren't eligible for student finance
Original post by Sephiroth
They'll fund it by increasing the fees for other students.

No they won't.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending