Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I know it is the quality not the quantity of experience that counts. However, I have been out of the workforce for the last 10 years as I was raising my children. I am currently an OU undergrad student where my time is free during the day as the children are at school.

I am currently looking at volunteer placements but I don't know how much I am expected to do each week? If I need to do something everyday or only a few hours a month. I am so grateful that I had the years just concentrating on my children but I feel this has put me at a massive disadvantage. When it comes to people who have been working without a break.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellx1)
    Hi,
    I know it is the quality not the quantity of experience that counts. However, I have been out of the workforce for the last 10 years as I was raising my children. I am currently an OU undergrad student where my time is free during the day as the children are at school.

I am currently looking at volunteer placements but I don't know how much I am expected to do each week? If I need to do something everyday or only a few hours a month. I am so grateful that I had the years just concentrating on my children but I feel this has put me at a massive disadvantage. When it comes to people who have been working without a break.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated!
    Hi Bell,

You've already hit the nail on the head in terms of quality not quantity.

So, in order to fulfil that you are better off a couple of hours which you can fully commit to every week then going in excess and stopping after one month. Even 2-3 hours one afternoon each week would be really useful to your application. Some hospitals, for example, require 6 months commitment with 3 hours a week. So, check what you have to commit to before you sign up.

Picking a reasonable number of hours also means you will have time to reflect on those experiences if possible and see how they can link to your application.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Kind Regards,

Mel
    Work experience lead for WAMSoc

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Thank you, for your reply Mel. My youngest is due to start school now so my hours are very set when I am free! Thankfully.

I have noticed one Hospital local to me. Is looking for volunteers general helping out, showing patients to wards that sort of work. However, it is stated on the application 'this role is not for work experience' . Is this something that I should further into? As the 'not for work experience' has slightly thrown me a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellx1)
    Hi,
    Thank you, for your reply Mel. My youngest is due to start school now so my hours are very set when I am free! Thankfully.

I have noticed one Hospital local to me. Is looking for volunteers general helping out, showing patients to wards that sort of work. However, it is stated on the application 'this role is not for work experience' . Is this something that I should further into? As the 'not for work experience' has slightly thrown me a bit.
    Hi Bell,

You're most welcome! That is definitely useful.

So, if you look at experiences required for medical schools in general, then they can be broken down into two.

Work experience which is predominately focused on shadowing healthcare professionals (doctors, nurses, physio) and hopefully talking to patients too.Usually over a short period of time so a week max usually. But, you'll usually be there all day.

Then there's volunteering. Usually over a long period of time and shorter sessions. You probably won't interact with the healthcare team much and its a lot more patient focused. So, you may help them with simple day to day tasks or have a chat with them etc. Great for communication, meeting people from diverse backgrounds and seeing if you enjoy working with others.

You need both for a successful application at most medical schools. So, if you like the sound of the volunteering placement get in touch with your hospital.

But, what they are saying is, be aware that it is a volunteering placement so you will still need to find a clinical work experience placement to show your understanding of the role of a doctor.

Kind Regards,

Mel

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Thank you so much for clearing that up for me. This forum has been an invaluable tool!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.