Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    I started studying maths at uni in October last year, but in January I was forced to leave uni on medical/personal grounds. For the same medical/personal reasons, I don't feel able to return to continue that course. The uni was absolutely supportive of this, and I have a letter from them - along with references - ratifying that I left on medical grounds. I'm now looking to apply for medicine, in part because of my own experiences over the past few months, to start studying in Autumn 2017.

    I've got in contact with the unis I'd want to apply to cause I know some of them can be funny about accepting people who have incompleted degrees. Having explained the situation, I've got a shortlist of unis who would be happy to consider applications from myself. However, they've asked me to make sure that I mention the fact that I have left a degree course and why I dropped out.

    How should I go about this? How brief or otherwise should I be, given that space is at a premium in a personal statement anyway? I don't want to wax lyrical and look like I'm playing the pity card, but I don't wanna look disingenuous, like I'm trying to cover something up. Also, is there any way that I can attach my letter from the uni to my application, so that all the unis I apply to will be aware of it?

    Thanks in advance for anyone who can help!!
    • PS Reviewer

    PS Reviewer
    Don't mention it in detail, it is what your references are for. They will deal with why you left, and will have much more credibility as they are impartial.

    If they have asked you to mention it, then simply put "I withdrew on medical grounds (see reference), and those grounds will not recur during the degree I am now applying for".

    Just two or three short sentences explaining why you left your degree would be fine and then follow it up with how your experience inspired you to take up medicine instead!

    Posted from TSR Mobile
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

    How to write a good personal statement

    Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

    Uni match

    Find your perfect uni course

    Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.