Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hii (I never know if these are in the right place, but let's roll with it),

I'd like to do Politics (either with international relations or history, not yet sure) at university and I was thinking about emailing my local MP to do a week of work experience maybe. I think not only would it be very beneficial towards my personal statement, but I also think I'd really enjoy it, as well.

However, I've heard that getting working experience with an MP is really difficult or competitive, but I'm not asking to visit Parliament with them lol, just showing an interest in what a politician does in a small north-eastern constituency.

Would doing this be realistic, or is it a bad idea?
    + if it's a good idea, how do you think I should go about emailing them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faketales)
    Hii (I never know if these are in the right place, but let's roll with it),

I'd like to do Politics (either with international relations or history, not yet sure) at university and I was thinking about emailing my local MP to do a week of work experience maybe. I think not only would it be very beneficial towards my personal statement, but I also think I'd really enjoy it, as well.

However, I've heard that getting working experience with an MP is really difficult or competitive, but I'm not asking to visit Parliament with them lol, just showing an interest in what a politician does in a small north-eastern constituency.

Would doing this be realistic, or is it a bad idea?
    + if it's a good idea, how do you think I should go about emailing them?
    Being a politcal careerist won't help you in politics; go into something else your good at, get high status THEN go into politics.

example me...

Become a maths teacher, outstanding rating... make a education company (which hasn't been made yet... hopefully no one will for next 10 years) get high reputation then go into politics and you'll fly up the ranks to leader.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.