Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm starting year 11 this year and I'm really curious to know what happens in regards to transitioning to sixth form ( I mean technically I'm not even sure if I want to go to sixth form or college but yeah) like when do we start choosing subjects and looking at sixths forms we're interested in? Do we send in applications? And if we do, when about in the year do we do that? My school has told me absolutely nothing except that we'll be taking sample lessons in their sixth form at some point in the year so it would be really helpful to be told how this all works. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idkmann)
    So I'm starting year 11 this year and I'm really curious to know what happens in regards to transitioning to sixth form ( I mean technically I'm not even sure if I want to go to sixth form or college but yeah) like when do we start choosing subjects and looking at sixths forms we're interested in? Do we send in applications? And if we do, when about in the year do we do that? My school has told me absolutely nothing except that we'll be taking sample lessons in their sixth form at some point in the year so it would be really helpful to be told how this all works. Thanks!
    I wouldn't worry about sixth form too much yet but I think our applications had to be in for about January/February of year 11 and you'd already decided which subjects to take then to put on the application. However, by GCSE results day I'd changed which subjects I wanted to take, and was able to change these after receiving my results, so you have a while to decide before you finalise the subjects. You should learn more about it throughout year eleven, as I had almost no clue what was going to happen until then! Good luck with everything!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah pretty much January through to March is when they usually help you through like your applications and interviews etc, in the run up to that though my school held tons of days or assemblies with sixth forms and colleges and also visits and taster days. It kinda just happens every so often and then by march you should have your applications in and decisions roughly made.

But everyone always changes their minds, I'm going to change a couple of my options when I phone up on results day, and it doesn't really matter you can change at any time, I've changed like twice already, only minor tweaks though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.