The Student Room Group

Im a terrible waitress ,is there something wrong with me?

So i started a new job waitressing my fourth shift i made 34 mistakes in 6 and a half hours, i counted
like forgeting how to use the till, what a customer ordered, nearly everytime i took an order i forgot to ask for their card(we run a tab service asking with every order

We lay out cutlery when food is ordered ,i always forget
I also foget what people say to me within 10 seconds, and i keep half clearing tables after one tray i forget to go back and am suprised when i see the table isnt cleared!

I have another job that its my third month and still forgeting basic things

the other day I was told to give tickets to a group of people i was sure i had already(i remembered clearly doing it) i was so confused until i remebered i have given tickets to another group earlier

the other day at home i wanted water ,i took an empty glass into the kitchen ,looked in the fridge then at the glass and it was full! I had no memory of filling it up but i did!

I dont think this is normal but i dont know if im just ditzy or theres something serously wrong with me ,my nan had alzhiemers im worried

Does this happen to other people? Especially waiters everyone else around me seems to be ok
(edited 7 years ago)
Maybe you're trying too hard ^^ I mean, you said it yourself : you counted all the mistakes you made ! The concentration you put into counting could have been used for something more useful. I don't think you should worry about your mental health, you just seem to be quite distracted. I hope it will get better, maybe if you start with small things, such as doing some tasks instinctively (like asking their cards, at first you'll have to tell yourself "don't forget don"t forget", but eventually, it will seem normal).

Even though you shouldn't worry about having Alzheimer's, I'm afraid that if you keep on this way, you won't last long as a waitress :s
How many hours do you sleep? And how much do you eat? Sometimes if you are not getting enough sleep or food or combination of both then some people experience the condition you are describing.
Reply 3
Original post by Bellamione
Maybe you're trying too hard ^^ I mean, you said it yourself : you counted all the mistakes you made ! The concentration you put into counting could have been used for something more useful. I don't think you should worry about your mental health, you just seem to be quite distracted. I hope it will get better, maybe if you start with small things, such as doing some tasks instinctively (like asking their cards, at first you'll have to tell yourself "don't forget don"t forget", but eventually, it will seem normal).

Even though you shouldn't worry about having Alzheimer's, I'm afraid that if you keep on this way, you won't last long as a waitress :s

thing is i dont usualy count mistakes i only did it that one da
maybe waitressing is not for you?
Oh well, then maybe Warrior Gene is right, you don't get enough sleep or food ^^
You're not showing enough cleavage.
Reply 7
I work at Bella Italia. I am not a waiter, in fact I am classed as Back of House as a Commis Chef making desserts. But since the desserts is out front, I often end up doing bar work or food running. I make small mistakes all the time, don't worry yourself. Im working 10-16 hours per week and after two months I'm already becoming decent. It's all down to experience.

Also, make sure you are writing down all details on a notepad to transfer to the till. That way, you have no problems remembering.

And generally just be confident in yourself, don't go in with the attitude that you're bad!
Go on bennies/steal. If work aint working out......

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending