Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, I got a pretty disappointing set of AS results:
    Biology- C (predicted B)
    Geology-C (predicted A)
    Geography- D (predicted A/B)
    Physics- U (knew I wouldn't pass)

Despite getting these results, I had revised all year and done a lot of work to try and get a good set of AS results. I really need some advice on any effective revision techniques so I can do really well in my A level exams.

I am hoping to go on to university to study Geology, and most want AAB/ABB/BBB. I am also doing EPQ, to try and boost my application in case I don't get a grade.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Hello! Which exam board are you with for Geology and Geography? If you're with OCR (Geology) and/or WJEC (Geography), then I may be able to help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayokay)
    So, I got a pretty disappointing set of AS results:
    Biology- C (predicted B)
    Geology-C (predicted A)
    Geography- D (predicted A/B)
    Physics- U (knew I wouldn't pass)

Despite getting these results, I had revised all year and done a lot of work to try and get a good set of AS results. I really need some advice on any effective revision techniques so I can do really well in my A level exams.

I am hoping to go on to university to study Geology, and most want AAB/ABB/BBB. I am also doing EPQ, to try and boost my application in case I don't get a grade.

Cheers
    Look on the positive side- I'm guessing you're dropping Physics, so no more suffering through that for you. Is there the opportunity to retake some exams?
    I am doing a Geology degree at uni- my advice for Geology is you can really boast your marks if you do well in the fieldtrips/practical coursework side.
    Without knowing your situation in detail to do well in Geography, you obvisouly need to know the basics of the case studies, but the examiners love to see you bringing in current news etc. into your answers. Simply try to keep on top of current news and affairs globally and if you don't have a great memory maybe jot them down. Then hopefully when it comes to the exam you can include this into it. For example, current news on Hinkley Point is an extremely useful thing to know if you have a topic on 'Energy' or something along that line.
    Feel free to ask away about the Geology side - going into my 3rd year at uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CareerVet)
    Look on the positive side- I'm guessing you're dropping Physics, so no more suffering through that for you. Is there the opportunity to retake some exams?
    I am doing a Geology degree at uni- my advice for Geology is you can really boast your marks if you do well in the fieldtrips/practical coursework side.
    Without knowing your situation in detail to do well in Geography, you obvisouly need to know the basics of the case studies, but the examiners love to see you bringing in current news etc. into your answers. Simply try to keep on top of current news and affairs globally and if you don't have a great memory maybe jot them down. Then hopefully when it comes to the exam you can include this into it. For example, current news on Hinkley Point is an extremely useful thing to know if you have a topic on 'Energy' or something along that line.
    Feel free to ask away about the Geology side - going into my 3rd year at uni
    thankyou so much! yeah I will have no choice but to drop physics so no more suffering! can I ask which uni you are doing geology at, and also about the workload? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayokay)
    thankyou so much! yeah I will have no choice but to drop physics so no more suffering! can I ask which uni you are doing geology at, and also about the workload? thanks
    Bristol, workload isn't too bad. First year is relatively simple just the physics/maths unit that is difficult but don't let that stop you as they offer lots of support and get everyone up to the same standard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CareerVet)
    Bristol, workload isn't too bad. First year is relatively simple just the physics/maths unit that is difficult but don't let that stop you as they offer lots of support and get everyone up to the same standard.
    Thanks for the advice!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.