The Student Room Group

Anybody who has doubts in applying due to grades, read my story

Right.. At GCSE I got 11 A*s and was one of the top students at my school, then at AS I ended up with ABC (A in Bio, B in Geo and C in Eng Lang & Lit). I was devastated not only because of the huge drop from my performance back at GCSE but cos I was so set up for English at Oxford. It had been my dream and I spent my entire secondary school career preparing for it, and yet right there I got an E in the Lit paper because I only managed to finish half of it. It was like a slap in my face.

My head of 6th form told me to 'repeat Year 12' and said to me 'alright then now English at Oxford is dead in the water' and 'normally you should even drop English but shame that you're already only doing 3 subjects', right on the day when I was at my weakest. Then I decided to change and apply for Psychology instead and thus ignored him and carried on with Year 13. After some struggle I decided to still go for Oxford. Between Results Day last year and the day my school began, I was spending all the hours except sleeping and eating just studying and preparing for Psychology at uni. I was fueled with the sheer desire and will to rise back up from my rock bottom again and prove anyone who doubted my ability wrong. I had never thought I'd go for Psychology and so I had to catch up with what I think a typical Oxbridge applicant would have done in like 2 to 3 years within 3 to 4 weeks. And that was the only way I could prove to people that I'm capable and deserving of a high enough prediction out of my ABC when I went back in September in order to apply to Oxford.

After I got back to school everyone was telling me not to waste a place, and teachers were advising me not to apply for unis that have offers higher than AAB. The head of 6th form was telling my English teacher not to predict me anything higher than a B. My English teacher though was the one I must thank as he said to me in the end 'I won't predict you anything less than an A. I want to show you that I believe in you.' So there I went and went for it.

And then I got an interview invite. And then an offer. And then an offer for their scholarship.

I've put in a huge amount of work and time both for the preparation for the course and for my EPQ which is subject-related (and it has expanded my mind and knowledge so much; also helped massively at my interview), and an even huger determination and effort for 'upping' my grades. A2 was hard work, resitting was too, but when I found the will, I found the power.

In the end I got 4 A*s for my A2. A* in all 3 of my subjects and an A* for my EPQ. What kicked that head of 6th form and all others who have ever doubted me in the arse the most wasn't even that I got into Oxford, having defied all odds. It was that I got full UMS in my English, while just 10 months ago my head of 6th form was saying 'don't even predict a B'. And now I'm off to read Experimental Psychology at Oxford in October. This past year was my come-back, my rebound. I just want to tell you that if you have the will, you'll keep turning 'impossible' into 'possible'.

When there's a WILL, there's a WAY. Don't ever let anybody tell you that you 'can't', most of all, don't let yourself tell you that you can't. Find your will, prepare to be flexible and be open to changes, and always believe, and always always try, then you'll find a way. I hope my experience empowers you, and I wish you all the best. x

Scroll to see replies

Awww, bless you :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by AnnaRainbows
Awww, bless you :smile:

Thank you :smile: Applies to any uni and anything at all in life too: never stop having faith :smile:
I love threads like these on TSR! It's a lovely change from all the doom and gloom and I know if I was in a position where I got bad grades and needed a pick me up these would really inspire and motivate me
WOW, this has really motivated me. I really want to go to Warwick, but I have received BCE, I'm sure by studying my butt off I can imporve that to AAB and apply through clearing or take a gap year and re-apply.
Wow, well done!!! Hope you have an amazing time at Oxford!

You've given me hope that I really can do well at my A2s. Thank you!
Original post by life.of.pablo
WOW, this has really motivated me. I really want to go to Warwick, but I have received BCE, I'm sure by studying my butt off I can imporve that to AAB and apply through clearing or take a gap year and re-apply.

We're in a similar boat! I got BCD with the D in the subject I want to do at uni (bio-genetics) so I'm aiming for ABB-BBB next year to get into my 1st choice Swansea. Even my family have advised me against it, but argh I want this so bady I'll give up absolutely everything for this. Got my revision guides, text books, and flashcards in the post today so I'm PUMPED to turn this around
Reply 7
Original post by Pinkberry_y
I love threads like these on TSR! It's a lovely change from all the doom and gloom and I know if I was in a position where I got bad grades and needed a pick me up these would really inspire and motivate me

Thank you :smile: Exactly what I'm aiming to do here
Reply 8

Yes! When you tell yourself that you can, then you can! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Punkrockfan
Wow, well done!!! Hope you have an amazing time at Oxford!

You've given me hope that I really can do well at my A2s. Thank you!

Thank you and you're so welcome :smile: When you put in the mind and the work, nothing is impossible. Wish you good luck xx

Which course do you want to do?
Sounds like you did incredibly well :smile: I got a BCD in mine, but want to apply for an AAB course really, can I ask how you revised best and how you kept motivated?
well the logic of it happened to me so it must be the same for everyone else is pretty stupid
What a lovely and inspirational story! Makes a great change from all the idiots on here who say retaking Year 12 means your life is over.
Reply 14
Original post by ImagineCats
We're in a similar boat! I got BCD with the D in the subject I want to do at uni (bio-genetics) so I'm aiming for ABB-BBB next year to get into my 1st choice Swansea. Even my family have advised me against it, but argh I want this so bady I'll give up absolutely everything for this. Got my revision guides, text books, and flashcards in the post today so I'm PUMPED to turn this around

Yes that's the spirit!! Last year when it happened to me I felt like I had nothing to lose anymore, so the only way to go is up, and the only step to take is to go forward. I was flat on the ground and yet once I chose to kneel back up I found that I could stand back up, and then after I'd stood back up I found that I could walk, then I was running and now I'm flying. It'll be a long journey but if your heart has chosen this battle to fight, it already means that it will be worth it and it will be done. Fight! :smile:
Original post by MoonVirgo
Yes that's the spirit!! Last year when it happened to me I felt like I had nothing to lose anymore, so the only way to go is up, and the only step to take is to go forward. I was flat on the ground and yet once I chose to kneel back up I found that I could stand back up, and then after I'd stood back up I found that I could walk, then I was running and now I'm flying. It'll be a long journey but if your heart has chosen this battle to fight, it already means that it will be worth it and it will be done. Fight! :smile:

The inspiration keeps pouring out of you! Thanks so much for posting this. The only way is up :biggrin:
This post has really motivated me! I've always wanted to do Spanish at Uni, did French and Spanish at GCSE studied so hard, put in relentless hours and got an A in French and A* in Spanish. I picked Spanish when I first started sixth form again studied so hard, relentless hours then on Thursday got a terrible shock receiving my AS results CDEE and the D was in Spanish :frown: After reading this I'm more determined than ever to turn this around :smile:)
Original post by MoonVirgo
Right.. At GCSE I got 11 A*s and was one of the top students at my school, then at AS I ended up with ABC (A in Bio, B in Geo and C in Eng Lang & Lit). I was devastated not only because of the huge drop from my performance back at GCSE but cos I was so set up for English at Oxford. It had been my dream and I spent my entire secondary school career preparing for it, and yet right there I got an E in the Lit paper because I only managed to finish half of it. It was like a slap in my face.

My head of 6th form told me to 'repeat Year 12' and said to me 'alright then now English at Oxford is dead in the water' and 'normally you should even drop English but shame that you're already only doing 3 subjects', right on the day when I was at my weakest. Then I decided to change and apply for Psychology instead and thus ignored him and carried on with Year 13. After some struggle I decided to still go for Oxford. Between Results Day last year and the day my school began, I was spending all the hours except sleeping and eating just studying and preparing for Psychology at uni. I was fueled with the sheer desire and will to rise back up from my rock bottom again and prove anyone who doubted my ability wrong. I had never thought I'd go for Psychology and so I had to catch up with what I think a typical Oxbridge applicant would have done in like 2 to 3 years within 3 to 4 weeks. And that was the only way I could prove to people that I'm capable and deserving of a high enough prediction out of my ABC when I went back in September in order to apply to Oxford.

After I got back to school everyone was telling me not to waste a place, and teachers were advising me not to apply for unis that have offers higher than AAB. The head of 6th form was telling my English teacher not to predict me anything higher than a B. My English teacher though was the one I must thank as he said to me in the end 'I won't predict you anything less than an A. I want to show you that I believe in you.' So there I went and went for it.

And then I got an interview invite. And then an offer. And then an offer for their scholarship.

I've put in a huge amount of work and time both for the preparation for the course and for my EPQ which is subject-related (and it has expanded my mind and knowledge so much; also helped massively at my interview), and an even huger determination and effort for 'upping' my grades. A2 was hard work, resitting was too, but when I found the will, I found the power.

In the end I got 4 A*s for my A2. A* in all 3 of my subjects and an A* for my EPQ. What kicked that head of 6th form and all others who have ever doubted me in the arse the most wasn't even that I got into Oxford, having defied all odds. It was that I got full UMS in my English, while just 10 months ago my head of 6th form was saying 'don't even predict a B'. And now I'm off to read Experimental Psychology at Oxford in October. This past year was my come-back, my rebound. I just want to tell you that if you have the will, you'll keep turning 'impossible' into 'possible'.

When there's a WILL, there's a WAY. Don't ever let anybody tell you that you 'can't', most of all, don't let yourself tell you that you can't. Find your will, prepare to be flexible and be open to changes, and always believe, and always always try, then you'll find a way. I hope my experience empowers you, and I wish you all the best. x

What were your overall predictions then? I thought they would automatically reject you if you got less than an AAA prediction? Also, what were your references like?
Reply 18
Original post by RallySPORT
Sounds like you did incredibly well :smile: I got a BCD in mine, but want to apply for an AAB course really, can I ask how you revised best and how you kept motivated?

I think it's important to keep pacing yourself because during the year you'll not only have your A2 to take care of but also your resits towards the end as well. My school does weekly tests on our subjects with us so we can keep check of our progress and that was quite convenient because you can see whether you're slipping or improving and thus where and what to improve. It also kept us revising. So for me it was the pace. If you can, maybe keep testing yourself and see where you're at periodically. I sort of did it like 'I'm my own competition' cos then you're not comparing yourself with others but you'll have enough pressure to keep yourself going and trying to surpass your own self.
I'd have to say the thing that kept me motivated was that I want to believe that I'm better than these grades lol, and after I've got my predictions, I didn't want to let my subject teachers down (both my Geo and Eng teachers were so kind to me). Also it was because I had no other choice but to go forward, I just kept telling myself 'I must and I can'. :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
What a lovely and inspirational story! Makes a great change from all the idiots on here who say retaking Year 12 means your life is over.

Thank you :smile: There are many ways to get to where we want to be, I suppose, what I did was just blindly charging through it loll. xx

Quick Reply

Latest