Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

IS this a BTEC? "Level 3 Extended Diploma in Computer Science(for IT practitioners) Watch

Edit: Yes it is!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miljee)
    Full course title is:
    "Level 3 Extended Diploma in Computer Science(for IT practitioners) Year 1 of 2 Group A"

It's at Eastleigh College, Southampton; a 2 year course. It sells itself as being a BTEC without actually saying so.

NO idea what units they'll offer! Until end of July term, they were still toying with going with Edexcel/Pearson instead (which is what they offer at Brockenhurst sixth form which was my first choice but is 20 miles away, one bus per day each way).

I am having no luck at all at getting them to TALK to me about whether this is 'IT' or 'Computing', and whether a DMM in it would get me into, say Bournemouth Uni (that's their asked for grades for BTEC this year to do Computing there).

Anyone know? I have to make my mind up asap as I'm dropping out of AS/A2s. I have a place at both but Eastleigh would be way more convenient IF it's the course I want!

Thanks!
    It is a BTEC as for content each college can choose from 60different units.
    There is no computer science btec it is all IT

DDD would get you into Brunel which is 41st for compscience
    D*D*D* would get you in Cardiff top 20

DMM would get you into Greenwich 60th

I did same as you and am #goingtobrunel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niteninja1)
    It is a BTEC as for content each college can choose from 60different units.
    There is no computer science btec it is all IT

DDD would get you into Brunel which is 41st for compscience
    D*D*D* would get you in Cardiff top 20

DMM would get you into Greenwich 60th

I did same as you and am #goingtobrunel
    the new 2016 spec for BTEC includes BTEC Computer science and BTEC Computing, the IT BTEC will be phased out by 2017 although most of the units have stayed the same from the 2010 IT spec

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yt7777)
    the new 2016 spec for BTEC includes BTEC Computer science and BTEC Computing, the IT BTEC will be phased out by 2017 although most of the units have stayed the same from the 2010 IT spec
    Grades will still be about right though

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Features

Blinkered horse

Take off your BTEC blinkers

Find out the truth behind the BTEC myths.

Polling station sign

BTEC essentials

What you really need to know about studying BTEC.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.