The Student Room Group

Should I really retake GCSE?

I am an adult and past formal education age and work in an industry I want to work in and earn decent money, onmy cv I put "gcses achieved in maths, english etc" but never clearly state the grade and its never came up which leads me to believe GCSEs are not worth while outside edication.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
If you're an adult wanting to re-enter education then I would opt for an access course or something similar. After a certain age GCSEs start to count for less and less and the futher up in education you go, you won't even have to mention them.
Reply 2
Don't worry about GCSEs if you have plenty of work experience. It helps if you have A Levels or equivalent though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BexiG
If you're an adult wanting to re-enter education then I would opt for an access course or something similar. After a certain age GCSEs start to count for less and less and the futher up in education you go, you won't even have to mention them.

I was considering retaking them but Im not sure how beneficial it would be

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
As another poster said as you get older they matter less; I haven't had employers mention my GCSEs for years (although I am considering doing maths to get a higher grade to give me more opportunities to do a PGCE in the future). If it's worth doing depends on your future plans really. Maybe you could look into functional skills as an alternative?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending