The Student Room Group

I'm not dumb but should I do an apprenticeship?

There is one Sixth Form I would consider going to, which is fairly local. I won't go back to my old school because I have hated the last five years. Unfortunately, the local Sixth Form require AAB but I think I've only got one A grade. I'm good at Maths and would do that at A-level.

An apprenticeship might be another option. What is best? I know I have exceeded the requirements by quite a margin (with hopefully all Cs and above).
Doing an apprenticeship doesn't mean you're dumb. My friend got As in her GCSEs and is now doing an apprenticeship.

It depends what you want to do in the future, what sort of career do you want?
If you have an idea of what career you are interested in going into, an apprenticeship is a great option. By no means does it make you dumb, if you attend the right place you can come out with equivalent qualifications to A-levels, whilst gaining valuable experience which will look great on your CV. Another major bonus, you get paid to do this! The company may even decide to keep you on after your contract runs out, and so you'll have a stable job, something which is very hard to find for young people nowadays.

Neither option is best - it depends on which is better for you. One drawback to apprenticeships is that you have to have an idea of what job you want to do in the future, as your qualifications will be specific in this field. I'd advice you to look into both options. Go to open days and ask questions. Find which seems most appealing. If you have to enrol somewhere this September but you're still unsure, just go to a college. You can always drop out if you find an apprenticeship. Good luck!:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Mate there is nothing wrong with an apprenticeship, and it doesn't mean that you are an idiot or not capable...
If my want to do A-levels there are other ways, college, sixth form, privately, distance/online learning, self-teaching...whatever works for you. If you want to do an apprenticeship then do one. Just make sure that you have thought through your decision and that your happy with it before, during and after. That is all that matters.

Spoiler

Original post by Christian Fuchs
There is one Sixth Form I would consider going to, which is fairly local. I won't go back to my old school because I have hated the last five years. Unfortunately, the local Sixth Form require AAB but I think I've only got one A grade. I'm good at Maths and would do that at A-level.

An apprenticeship might be another option. What is best? I know I have exceeded the requirements by quite a margin (with hopefully all Cs and above).

You could also go to college. Dont forget there are different levels of appreticeships. there are also good ones with training and poor ones with rubbish propsects.

Quick Reply

Latest