Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to study civil engineering in uni but results day kinda ruined everything. Most unis ask for maths and another science subject ( chem, bio, physics and geography).

I am studying geo, maths, spanish and english lit AS. Results day was a big surprise because the subject I worked the hardest for was geo and I only got a C, maths i had to self- study because my sixth form for wouldnt let me do it because I got a B at gcse only 1 mark off an A. So it was really difficult because they forced to do a fifth subject in school because I was doing maths outside school.

As a result,I failed maths because I didnt have anytime to revise for it and I only started doing it in March I knew I was gonna fail but because I paid for it I just did the exam anyway. So I got ABCU (spanish, engl, geo and maths)

-I dont know whether I should take a gap year and re-sit maths
    -or move schools drop eng lit because I hate it re-sit one of my geo exams keep spanish and do a-level maths in one year.
    - drop geo, keep english, spanish and do maths a-level in one year

so what do you guys think? if you have any other possible solutions please share it. thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Maths is probably the most important subject they are considering you for because it is a big part of engineering, I think, besides physics. But it would be very difficult to do the whole A level in one year. I speak from experience as I basically failed my AS maths first time around just scraping into A2. So at the same time I was learning A2 I was also teaching myself the AS because I was so bad at it in the first year. I failed the A2 exams but my AS exams where good enough to bring it up to a C.I'd suggest sticking with Spanish, because you are clearly good at it and another language is always a great thing to have. I got a B in french at GCSE but didnt go any further and now I regret not doing it at A level.Drop english as you don't enjoy it, which gives you more time to focus on geo and maths.At least this is my advise. Of course it depends on the schools and what exams boards they use for different subjects, wether they want to take on you for half a course etc, etc. I hope I've been a bit of help and good luck with whatever you decide to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mewii)
    Maths is probably the most important subject they are considering you for because it is a big part of engineering, I think, besides physics. But it would be very difficult to do the whole A level in one year. I speak from experience as I basically failed my AS maths first time around just scraping into A2. So at the same time I was learning A2 I was also teaching myself the AS because I was so bad at it in the first year. I failed the A2 exams but my AS exams where good enough to bring it up to a C.I'd suggest sticking with Spanish, because you are clearly good at it and another language is always a great thing to have. I got a B in french at GCSE but didnt go any further and now I regret not doing it at A level.Drop english as you don't enjoy it, which gives you more time to focus on geo and maths.At least this is my advise. Of course it depends on the schools and what exams boards they use for different subjects, wether they want to take on you for half a course etc, etc. I hope I've been a bit of help and good luck with whatever you decide to do
    Thanks, you've been really helpful. What were your other subjects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadunicorn)
    Thanks, you've been really helpful. What were your other subjects?
    Glad I could help!

Biology and Fine Art which I got C's in too

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.