Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gone anon cos paranoid TV license will find me and hunt me down

So I'm moving to a 2 bed flat before uni starts, it's part of a large tower of flats on the 7th floor. You can only get access to the tower if you have a fob or know the security access code.

As there are only 2 of us, paying TV license will still be expensive - dunno about you lot but losing just over £70 is a pretty painful experience.

I was wondering how easy it is to get caught without one, and what the procedure is if you do get caught.

Is it worth risking watching TV if we don't pay? Any advice from someone who's had experiences with TV licensing?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Well, you could get fined up at £1000 if you do get caught.

ReputationRep:
    If you have internet, why do you need tv? You can just stream stuff online.

If you really want to watch stuff on a tv screen, get an HDMI cable (and an AV adapter if necessary) and connect your laptop or your phone to the screen.

ReputationRep:
    just watch stuff on your laptop or phone

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by kakerlake)
    If you have internet, why do you need tv? You can just stream stuff online.

If you really want to watch stuff on a tv screen, get an HDMI cable (and an AV adapter if necessary) and connect your laptop or your phone to the screen.
    (Original post by bubblegumcat)
    just watch stuff on your laptop or phone

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Worth remembering that from September, using iPlayer at all, even for catch-up will need a license. Still, whether you get caught/how they'll monitor it... :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't risk it as they will check. In halls we were all sent a letter about getting a tv license and they would be checking to see if we were watching tv without one. You are likely to be checked so if you want to watch tv I suggest you get one! You also cannot watch bbc at all even on catch up after 1st september without a to license so that's something worth considering! To be honest in first year I got by with Netflix and YouTube!

ReputationRep:
    Depends how much you're into watching TV. If you stick to Netflix and YouTube, you don't need one. You only need one if you watch live TV or use iPlayer to catch up

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't bother, I survived a year without the rubbish that consumes TV anyway. Just have Netflix, Youtube and so on. In my halls it was charged per person due to each room counting as a separate address. So no way was I paying that.

Getting one for second year, but with it being £40 for the year, due to sharing it with three others, I don't mind.

Just remember the new iPlayer rules. Good luck BBC on enforcing that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Worth remembering that from September, using iPlayer at all, even for catch-up will need a license. Still, whether you get caught/how they'll monitor it... :dontknow:
    hmm I'm more of a Netflix user

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.