Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If my calculator for some reason stops working in an exam, will I have to do without or do they have spares? If I have to do without am I allowed to take in a screwdriver and batteries?

ReputationRep:
    They might have spares but in my school, they were really anal about giving spare anything so idk. Some people took a spare calculator into the exam but if yours is the battery + solar powered fx85gt or something like that, I've never seen it run out of battery for the 5+ years I've used it so you should be good

If you're really paranoid though, I guess you could buy a new calculator relatively close to the exam so you know it won't run out

I'm pretty sure you don't want to waste your time in the exam taking the calculator apart and the invigilators may think you're up to something (eg hidden notes under the cover idk) so its best not to do that

ReputationRep:
    Well it depends... Some schools never actually carry a spare calculator in the exam hall, but you wouldn't be refused one if the battery runs out. So it's likely that an invigilator would have to find somebody in the maths department to give you a calculator, and this process would kill 5-10 minutes of your exam time (some schools would give you 5-10 minutes at the end, but at my school they don't).

ReputationRep:
    My school was completely fine with giving out stuff although they told us to bring our own equipment. I couldn't imagine them refusing to get you a calculator if it doesn't work through no fault of your own. And anyway, it's highly unlikely that it will run out, I've had mine for 5 years now and the battery is still going despite it not being solar powered. You'll be able to see during your mocks how your school deals with stuff like this, as I guess it just depends on which school you're at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_JoKeR)
    If my calculator for some reason stops working in an exam, will I have to do without or do they have spares? If I have to do without am I allowed to take in a screwdriver and batteries?
    Mine broke in the middle of an exam and they were happy to give me a spare one..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

(Original post by surina16)
    They might have spares but in my school, they were really anal about giving spare anything so idk. Some people took a spare calculator into the exam but if yours is the battery + solar powered fx85gt or something like that, I've never seen it run out of battery for the 5+ years I've used it so you should be good

If you're really paranoid though, I guess you could buy a new calculator relatively close to the exam so you know it won't run out

I'm pretty sure you don't want to waste your time in the exam taking the calculator apart and the invigilators may think you're up to something (eg hidden notes under the cover idk) so its best not to do that
    (Original post by Vyres)
    Well it depends... Some schools never actually carry a spare calculator in the exam hall, but you wouldn't be refused one if the battery runs out. So it's likely that an invigilator would have to find somebody in the maths department to give you a calculator, and this process would kill 5-10 minutes of your exam time (some schools would give you 5-10 minutes at the end, but at my school they don't).
    (Original post by floralandfading)
    My school was completely fine with giving out stuff although they told us to bring our own equipment. I couldn't imagine them refusing to get you a calculator if it doesn't work through no fault of your own. And anyway, it's highly unlikely that it will run out, I've had mine for 5 years now and the battery is still going despite it not being solar powered. You'll be able to see during your mocks how your school deals with stuff like this, as I guess it just depends on which school you're at.
    (Original post by z1820)
    Mine broke in the middle of an exam and they were happy to give me a spare one..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah thanks guys! Yeh I've been using my current one for 4 years now so it might run out soon but paranoid that if I take just a new one into the exam it could be damaged and not work as well.

ReputationRep:
    Even though they say the won't give you one pre exam time, they definitely won't refuse you if your calculator stops working in the exam. Yes, if it is a mock exam, it may lose you some time while they go and find you one, but they should always have it on hand just in case in the real exam- I've seen people ask for thing like rulers during the real exams and are given It in seconds. Also, they always ask you if you need a pen before the exam starts so I doubt they wouldn't have a calculator. So don't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    My battery has lasted 4+ years, I've even dropped it in a puddle.. on the way to the maths exam... and it survived!
    My school gives them out if you forget them/have one break in an exam. You'll just have to wait and see.

ReputationRep:
    Just get a new one.

My school had spares but in the grand scheme of things a calculator possibly breaking isn't something really worth stressing over so get a new one and forget

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.