Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Did anybody see the news that by september next year, they are planning to increase the number of NHS dentists by over 1000. Also, the government are pressuring universities to expand there places available, so there should be around 140 more places next year.

What do you budding dentists think of this? Do you reckon competition for places will decrease? I think it will, but the entry requirements will increase.

ReputationRep:
    Oooh! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    apparently theyr gna get dentists frm abroad in, mosta the dentists tht train here dnt go n wrk 4 the NHS n strt there private practice instead.....also its really expensive 2 train dentists so theyd rather take in ppl tht hav alredy trained in other countries.....theres like 1 dentist 4 evry 2500 ppl in this country

ReputationRep:
    Ive decided to work on the NHS...and private. Get the best of both world.

ReputationRep:
    I want to work for the NHS at first, then who knows...
    It seems unfair to go straight into private dentistry, charging people the earth for treatment which is likely to be substandard as I'll have just qualified. Of course... my feelings will probably have changed come the end of fifth year! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    how do you force 1000 people into NHS practice though???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    how do you force 1000 people into NHS practice though???
    Increasing the pay, by offering more state incentives, by encouraging the benifits of NHS work, which are limited, and by bringing in overseas dentists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Caddie)
    Increasing the pay, by offering more state incentives, by encouraging the benifits of NHS work, which are limited, and by bringing in overseas dentists.
    Maybe I'm a sceptic (although I would love an NHS dentist ), but from what I've seen and heard from practicing dentists, it would cost the government a huge amount to offer enough of an incentive.

And many of us have seen that mixed practice very rarely works, with NHS emmergency appointments getting ousted by private ones.

I'm all for it, I just have trouble seeing it working in reality.

ReputationRep:
    They could make it compulsary for dentists to work in the NHS for a certain length of time after they have qualified. Not sure that would go down too well though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bitewing)
    They could make it compulsary for dentists to work in the NHS for a certain length of time after they have qualified. Not sure that would go down too well though.
    Im sure I heard something like that, it makes sense. I personally think many dental graduates are too money motivated and so they refuse to go into NHS. Which to an extent is fair enough, but it should be more about job satisfaction that pay packet size.

ReputationRep:
    Im sure I heard something like that, it makes sense. I personally think many dental graduates are too money motivated and so they refuse to go into NHS. Which to an extent is fair enough, but it should be more about job satisfaction that pay packet size.
    Exactly, and its not like you're going to be struggling financially on NHS wages anyway!

I don't think its fair that graduates should go straight into private dentistry because they aren't as experienced and won't be able to provide as high quality treatment as the patient deserves, seeing as they are paying such a high price for it.

ReputationRep:
    Ive decided to work on the NHS...and private. Get the best of both world.
    u a dentist god help us!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economics)
    u a dentist god help us!
    No, Im not a dentist. Hence the reason Im going to dental school. :rolleyes:

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 21, 2004

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.