Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, recently I have decided to try and learn a foreign language and try to get to the stage of fluency, I have gone with French because it is the one I am most familiar with and also gives a base for learning other languages. However, the only French I speak is the French I learnt from year 7-9 (did not take it to GCSE) and therefore I am very limited on my knowledge. Does anyone have any ways that I can teach myself French effectively? I am going into sixth form this year and therefore would love to be able to do this while also having plenty of time for my other studies. Thank you in advance for any help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eden00)
    Hey, recently I have decided to try and learn a foreign language and try to get to the stage of fluency, I have gone with French because it is the one I am most familiar with and also gives a base for learning other languages. However, the only French I speak is the French I learnt from year 7-9 (did not take it to GCSE) and therefore I am very limited on my knowledge. Does anyone have any ways that I can teach myself French effectively? I am going into sixth form this year and therefore would love to be able to do this while also having plenty of time for my other studies. Thank you in advance for any help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Conversationexchange.com
    Best and most fun way to learn is by conversing with native speakers. They'll also want you to help them with english of course

ReputationRep:
    find online courses
    memrise/duolingo for vocab
    buy a ks3 textbook and work through that before advancing up to gcse standard

ReputationRep:
    make friends with some people who are doing French A level since at my college they were all always speaking in French to each other. RemeoSantos' suggestion is good too. Native speakers are one of if not the best thing to listen to and copy since they speak real french,

ReputationRep:
    Memrise- aqa french course is really good for vocab

ReputationRep:
    Okay sooo:

- Duolingo/Lingvist/Memrise all good for building vocab.
    - Check out Anki for creating flashcards for spaced repetition
    - Or check out Quizlet if you're not 100% concerned about spaced repetition
    - KS3/GCSE/AS/A2 Textbooks will all help you to an extent.
    - Listen to French news
    - Listen to French podcasts
    - Listen to French music
    - Watch French TV shows ([email protected] french on youtube is aimed at beginners)
    - Watch French films (w/ subtitles or youre not gonna understand)
    - Watch French YouTubers
    - Read French children's books
    - Find some good sites that explain French grammar
    - Type/talk to french native speakers
    - Practice writing a diary in French
    - Use lang-8.com to post your French and have it corrected.
    - Start incorporating French into your everyday life e..g count/swear in French
    - Maybe host a blog where you write about your French studies
    - Clozemaster can help slightly with vocab, and lyricstraining can help with listening skills
    - Find french children's games online to play or switch some of your current video games to French

ye

ReputationRep:
    Any good book for junior French learner, i need to learn it ?

ReputationRep:
    What about just hiring a private french tutor? Is this a viable option for someone who wants to speak french fluently? I didn't do it at a level or gcse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatherineJones23)
    find online courses
    memrise/duolingo for vocab
    buy a ks3 textbook and work through that before advancing up to gcse standard
    This seems like the best idea in my opinion. Also, try using quizlet to help you learn vocab too, it gives you slightly more control over which words you learn.

ReputationRep:
    I'm learning Portuguese via Duolingo, it's great

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.