False dichotomy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersaps)
    Confidence makes girls prettier.

False dichotomy.
    What does false dichotomy mean?

ReputationRep:
    It's a false choice.

Prettiness isn't just a physical characteristic, it can be enhanced by the way you carry yourself, present yourself, if you have a nice laugh, etc.

So saying prettiness vs confidence doesn't really make sense.

ReputationRep:
    For women its prettier face.
    For men its confidence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You would think the prettier girl gets the prettiest guy but I usually see drop-dead gorge guy with average looking or slightly pretty girlfriends and drop-dead gorgeous girls with average looking or even ugly (sorry, harsh word I know) boyfriends.

ReputationRep:
    Face > everything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkberry_y)
    So my friend and I were discussing this earlier, you could argue the prettier girl will get the better looking guy because both are attractive and attract each other. But she definitely believes the more confident girl will get the hotter guy.

What do you guys think? I would add a poll but idk how to, so write below! And give a reason if you can be bothered to
    sorry definitely not, there are a lot of confident girls that are not considered good looking and they are with people of a similar "level" of looks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkberry_y)
    So my friend and I were discussing this earlier, you could argue the prettier girl will get the better looking guy because both are attractive and attract each other. But she definitely believes the more confident girl will get the hotter guy.

What do you guys think? I would add a poll but idk how to, so write below! And give a reason if you can be bothered to
    I would believe the more confident girl would get the better looking guy because
    she'll be more outgoing and straight forward compared to the other prettier
    girl who wants the guy to do all the chasing. (assuming pretty = facial looks)

Guys just want someone straight forward tbh and if they click, they click.

(Original post by NotYaboy)
    Face > everything
    Perhaps for women. ^

But most guys would settle for a girl with average looks but thats got a amazing body. :lol: You can't say face>everything because if her body fat % is above average she won't look as attractive as compared to when she's a bit leaner and the same compared to fluffy face guys v.s chiseled face.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersaps)
    Confidence makes girls prettier.

False dichotomy.
    Another word for it is an oxymoron, (contradiction in terms).

ReputationRep:
    Guys don't care about confidence, to a certain extent. Most of the time you just have to be good looking and that will make up for everything else you are lacking. Yep, guys are visual creatures, especially if they know they can show you off- ego boost....that's all it takes for them- yeah they are suckers for pretty girls. All common sense goes out the window,

ReputationRep:
    This question has no meaningful answer as long as people are so varied.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty wins. But confidence is an advantage too. Of course the reaction that prettiness gets is often a confidence booster at least in the dating stakes.

ReputationRep:
    Confidence starts or continues a conversation.

ReputationRep:
    Typically, attractiveness and confidence go hand in hand - if you think you're pretty, you're more likely to feel confident and if you're confident, you're more likely to think of yourself as pretty. I'd run with confidence overall though, because of personal experience.

ReputationRep:
    different people want different things - some will prioritise confidence, others looks and some will prioritise other aspects of personality

the way someone acts/dresses can make them seem prettier or less attractive

ReputationRep:
    Both can potentially swing it either way e.g. similar looks/confidence but vastly different confidence/looks :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Confidence doesn't mean anything for girls. She just has to be pretty.
    Confidence in girls bares no importance in male-female dynamics. Being a confident female is not a natural desirable trait that displays strong genes - contrary to being pretty.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.