Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm starting AS Level in September and I'm planning on studying Economics, English Language, Maths and Physics. As any student, I could use extra money, but I don't want to get a part time job. This is because I am worried I won't be able to fulfil my student duties in time, before I go to work. As a result, I came to the conclusion that I could tutor high school kids on the weekends.

I wanted to ask if that's a normal thing. Do lower sixth students ever teach high school students? I was pretty good at Maths in high school and I was going to take further maths at A Level, but it's not going to directly aid my future career, so I decided against it. Nevertheless, I still think I would make a fair teacher.

Any tips for a to-be tutor?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    It occurs but you will likely find that you'll have a hard time finding clients when there are so many better qualified tutors looking for work.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, go for it. I started tutoring for a bit of extra cash in Year 9; it was just someone in primary school on my street. Gradually, I built up reputation in my neighbourhood and I teach up to ten kids every week. It's very fun, and flexible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nichita)
    Hi, I'm starting AS Level in September and I'm planning on studying Economics, English Language, Maths and Physics. As any student, I could use extra money, but I don't want to get a part time job. This is because I am worried I won't be able to fulfil my student duties in time, before I go to work. As a result, I came to the conclusion that I could tutor high school kids on the weekends.

I wanted to ask if that's a normal thing. Do lower sixth students ever teach high school students? I was pretty good at Maths in high school and I was going to take further maths at A Level, but it's not going to directly aid my future career, so I decided against it. Nevertheless, I still think I would make a fair teacher.

Any tips for a to-be tutor?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep, definitely is a thing. My brother printed off loads of little cards explainig who he was and offering tuition and posted them through the letterboxes of all the nearest streets - this is in a family-friendly london borough so perhaps it may be harder for you, but yh he started tutoring a primary school kid trying to get into private school and another for gcses. At least worth giving it a go!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    worth a try, there a lots of better qualified tutors out there (uni students etc) but if you offer a lower price (tbh if you ask for £10 an hour tops you're still earning a lot more than you would in a shop) then you might win some people over

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 23, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.