Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am currently a year one student. This year does not count towards my degree classification. Has anyone got any tips to share that helped them get a 2.1?

Also, is only the select few that get a 2.1 or it is achievable for the average student?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellx1)
    Hi,
    I am currently a year one student. This year does not count towards my degree classification. Has anyone got any tips to share that helped them get a 2.1?

Also, is only the select few that get a 2.1 or it is achievable for the average student?
    Hi,

The percentage of people that get 3rds, 2:2s, 2:1 and firsts differs massively between universities and between departments. Cambridge uni used to publish every person's results and you could see that some subjects it was typical for around 2/3 to 4/5 of people to get a 2:1, whilst in others around 1/3 could get 3rds. Given that alot of graduate jobs will not look at your application if you don't have a 2:1, its quite an important (but also achievable) goal.

Generally though, i'd say 2:1 is the degree that most people get. Firsts (or distinctions) are much rarer, but can still be 10-20% of a class.

The easiest (or hardest) tips in my book would be just to read, read read. You can't expect to say interesting things which other people in your class are not saying just through reading 4-5 papers per essay. This advice is mostly good for essay-marked exams.
    -Read all the research papers on the reading list (this will be quite hard to begin with, then after a year you learn how to skim through less important bits)
    -Do extra reading beyond set texts (and learn how to use google scholar or web of science to do citation searches of papers in your reading list so you can find up to date research). One of the easiest ways to stand out in an essay is to show that you've read things beyond the lectures and reading list which 90% of people will focus on.
    -Try to be critical about research in essays, so nerd up on research methods to do this well: https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Think-S.../dp/1292023104

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.