The Student Room Group

Simple looking equation

Given that ab ab divides a2+b2+3 a^2+b^2+3 , find the the value of a2+b2+3ab \displaystyle \frac{a^2+b^2+3}{ab} .

Any ideas?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ano123
Given that ab ab divides a2+b2+3 a^2+b^2+3 , find the the value of a2+b2+3ab \displaystyle \frac{a^2+b^2+3}{ab} .

Any ideas?

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=solve+in+integers+a%5E2-k*ab%2Bb%5E2%3D-3
That equation reminds me of the question NumberPhile recently looked at -- the IMO one.
Reply 3
It's not an equation.
Reply 4
:s-smilie:
well, obviously it is an equation, but one with many possibilities - and you have you r answer.
Original post by sandragail
well, obviously it is an equation, but one with many possibilities - and you have you r answer.

Well, obviously it is NOT an equation. Look up the definition.
It is an equation, but one where there are more than 'many' possible answers - are you questioning me? Go ahead.
Would you prefer a theoretical reply or an absolute reply?
Would you prefer a theoretical reply or an absolute reply? Given that I have a phD in Mathematics.
Original post by sandragail
Would you prefer a theoretical reply or an absolute reply? Given that I have a phD in Mathematics.

Right. Go ahead and explain because what I'm seeing up there is an expression, not an equation.
An expression/an equation - what are you on about - there are too many unknowns - end of. Who told you it was an expression?
Equation or ****ing not, it reminded me of a YouTube video. Ruddy hell.
lol.

I can give you some sort of equation but that would take some time; a variable amount of time.

Quick Reply

Latest