Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cheap men's hair product with good hold and matte finish? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm trying to upgrade my hairstyle for confidence and generally just wanting to look as good as I can, but I'm absolutely clueless about this stuff, so I need some help. I'm a South Asian guy with the typical hair, fairly fine and generally just limp. I've been using VO5 reWork Putty for a while now, but no matter how much of it I use and whether I wet my hands or not it always ends up drooping on one side and generally having no hold. I'm guessing this is because I need a product with better hold, but I also want to retain the matte finish of this one - so, does anyone know of a good product with both good hold and a matte finish that I can get from places like Wilkinson's and the other usual places, as budget is also a factor.

Would really appreciate some help with this, I'm so bad at style.

ReputationRep:
    Im actually in a very similar position as you. Ive been using that same product and it doesnt hold my hair up well either. I plan to use regular gel but not too much so that it doesnt get that wet look. However if i find a putty with strong hold ill go for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rob_theboss)
    Im actually in a very similar position as you. Ive been using that same product and it doesnt hold my hair up well either. I plan to use regular gel but not too much so that it doesnt get that wet look. However if i find a putty with strong hold ill go for that.
    Well, it's good to know I'm not alone in being this clueless, haha. The problem with gel is that I think any amount of it in (y)our hair would give it the wet look, since that tends to be what it's designed for.

ReputationRep:
    Not that that cheap but I use this and really like it:*http://www.boots.com/en/Fudge-Urban-...-70ml_1484978/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dewsy)
    Not that that cheap but I use this and really like it:*http://www.boots.com/en/Fudge-Urban-...-70ml_1484978/
    Do you have medium-longish style hair, and if so, how good is this at keeping it held up without drooping down?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Architect)
    Do you have medium-longish style hair, and if so, how good is this at keeping it held up without drooping down?
    it is pretty strong hold actually. I have medium-ish hair and my hair never looks flat at any point during the day. My favourite thing about it though is it doesn't look wet/shiny at all.

Would definitely recommend trying it if you are looking for something along these lines. I tried a fair few and settled on this one.*

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    Got2b texture clay (orange tub). I have fine asian hair and this is the only one that works, the other clays don't hold which leads to me putting more on and making my hair look and feel greasy. If you do get this, the clay is abit 'wet' when newly opened but it dries stiffer than you'd expect.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.