Does the wage gap even exist?

Watch
That'sGreat
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
It is shown that the bottom 10 jobs, in terms of pay, is dominated by women, because they are seen (not always) to be more focused on getting a job they want as opposed to one that pays the big bucks. Next person one fact in favour or against and then next person one fact. Get a discussion going
rob_theboss
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My only contribution is to check out milo Yiannopoulos. He is someone he activly ridicules it.
thad33
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by That'sGreat)
It is shown that the bottom 10 jobs, in terms of pay, is dominated by women, because they are seen (not always) to be more focused on getting a job they want as opposed to one that pays the big bucks. Next person one fact in favour or against and then next person one fact. Get a discussion going
I've read a few interesting things on this by people who know what they're talking about. The numbers show that for women who decide not to have children earn 13% more than men for same age and career progression.

I'll double check if I can find the source again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
doodle_333
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There clearly is a gap if you just look at women vs. men but there are so many factors in pay that I think it's unlikely anyone has properly assessed whether identical women and men are paid differently. Those things include: leaving to have children, caring responsibilities, career sector choice, ambition and ability to negotiate for better pay.
BasicMistake
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
http://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandl...ay-differences

The gap exists but not because employers actively reduce the wages of female employees.

Reasons include but are not limited to:
Men work more overtime
Women are more likely to have part-time jobs
This means that younger women earn more than younger men (up to the age of around 30)
Removing yourself from the labour market to raise a family reduces your lifetime earnings

Also, don't go listening to Milo Yiannopoulos as another person said, he is insufferable.
sleepysnooze
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
nope - it's perhaps the biggest myth of our time - it's a shameless tactic feminists advance to make it seem as if women don't get outperformed by most men - but being outperformed and hence paid less isn't "discrimination" on the grounds of gender. women are more likely to work part-time, more sociable hours, take more time off (be it maternity or holiday leave), take bigger breaks over their life (whereas men don't and hence have more work experience) etc - this causes men to usually be better workers, but feminists cannot have that truth being released because that would make their whole message fail.
anarchism101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've never seen anyone actually follow up on a claim that it genuinely doesn't exist. Most people who initially claim it doesn't actually just end up arguing that it is justified rather than straight-up non-existent.
The Good Doctor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by anarchism101)
I've never seen anyone actually follow up on a claim that it genuinely doesn't exist. Most people who initially claim it doesn't actually just end up arguing that it is justified rather than straight-up non-existent.
So, what's the problem, may I ask?
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It exists but it is because of women's personal choice's either we just pay women 23% more so we can say no, we take away women's choices so they earn the same or we accept that people will be different and women in general work less, take more holidays and are more likely to take degrees in lower paying subjects.

Want to close wage gap? Step one: Change your major from feminist dance therapy to electrical engineering.
S.G.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What gap?
Pinkberry_y
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well if women didn't go on maternity leave, maybe there wouldn't be such a gap
Kieranisda1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've seen a chart which says that for a man and woman in Britain doing the same job with the same level of experience, the gap in hourly wage is pretty much non existent.
caravaggio2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It does exist but not because of sexism.
It's not a wage gap but an earnings gap.0
It exists because women ( not all but in the main) freely choose to work fewer hours in lower paying less demanding fields.
By simply comparing apples and oranges feminists try to show that the gap is down to sexism.
This has been disproved countless times by economists and statisticians.
username738914
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by BasicMistake)

The gap exists but not because employers actively reduce the wages of female employees.

Men work more overtime
This means that younger women earn more than younger men (up to the age of around 30)
Removing yourself from the labour market to raise a family reduces your lifetime earnings

Also, don't go listening to Milo Yiannopoulos as another person said, he is insufferable.
This^

Posted from TSR Mobile
username738914
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kieranisda1)
I've seen a chart which says that for a man and woman in Britain doing the same job with the same level of experience, the gap in hourly wage is pretty much non existent.
This one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kieranisda1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Princepieman)
This one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
****ing psychic you man
inhuman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by BasicMistake)

Men work more overtime

(Original post by doodle_333)
There clearly is a gap if you just look at women vs. men but there are so many factors in pay that I think it's unlikely anyone has properly assessed whether identical women and men are paid differently. Those things include: leaving to have children, caring responsibilities, career sector choice, ambition and ability to negotiate for better pay.
Very well put.
When I was a student at LSE one of the professors gave an informal talk, and his conclusion was, IIRC, that the vast majority of the wage gap can be explained by all (well most, I suppose it's hard to control for literally "all") these factors. About 10% were left that were not explainable (although note that that does not necessarily imply 10% is discrimination).
Crazysue1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've only ever worked at one place where the females were routinely paid less than their male counterparts......I didn't stay there long.

In the early part of my marriage (I am not a youngster) I was the major 'bread winner', taking home 3.5 to 4 times his salary each month. I worked blooming hard for that money, chased promotion, changed companies for better ones etc whilst he was happy to plod along at the same company paying not so great money.

Currently there is a wage gap for me but it is not to do with discrimination, more to do with the blooming huge career gap due to having children and having to start at the bottom again.
caravaggio2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Crazysue1)

Currently there is a wage gap for me but it is not to do with discrimination, more to do with the blooming huge career gap due to having children and having to start at the bottom again.
Can I ask, who was the primary care giver for your children?.
The reason I ask is most women do it, not least because their partner, ( in average straight couples) earns more and it is just a none starter for him to take time off once the children are born. It would cripple them financially. My wife earns considerably more than me so apart from maternity , she went straight back to work and I'd did the childcare. Most men don't take up paternity fully as is financial suicide if you have a mortgage etc.
Crazysue1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was the primary care giver, he refused to do so when push came to shove, despite it putting us into a financial hell hole.

It's a long story and not one for this thread but suffice to say, we are now divorced.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (367)
84.17%
No (69)
15.83%

Watched Threads