Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Just received my AS results and did reasonably well, achieving AAAA in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics.

My UMS average over maths and further maths is 94% (disappointed with this, brought down by a very poor, sub 90 ums performance in FP1). I will be however be predicted A*A*A*A minimum next year, or probably A*A*A*A*. My GCSEs however are very average (3A* 6A 2B).

I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on what my chances are on receiving an offer for maths with economics at UCL and LSE with an average personal statement?

Both of these unis, particularly LSE are known to he quite selective in terms of gcse but would my AS grades and a2 prediction 'cancel out' my poor gcses?

I would be particularly grateful if any current UCL / LSE students reply. Also if anyone who is studying pure maths at UCL sees this thread, please reply with your gcses, AS, AS ums and A2 prediction (I am thinking of applying for pure maths and wanted to gauge my chances for this)

NB: Admin, I know this is the wrong forum but I wasn't able to post anywhere else so please move this if possible.

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    "I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on what my chances are on receiving an offer for maths with economics at UCL and LSE with an average personal statement?"

Low. You need a good personal statement despite your near-perfect grades.

My m8 was predicted (and attained) 4 A*s and got rejected by both LSE and UCL Economics due to his personal statement, he got into Oxford though fortunately.

I think your high AS UMS will 'cancel out' your GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonwinner)
    "I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on what my chances are on receiving an offer for maths with economics at UCL and LSE with an average personal statement?"

Low. You need a good personal statement despite your near-perfect grades.

My m8 was predicted (and attained) 4 A*s and got rejected by both LSE and UCL Economics due to his personal statement, he got into Oxford though fortunately.

I think your high AS UMS will 'cancel out' your GCSEs.
    I'm not applying for pure economics - pure economics are a lot more selective with regards to the personal statement as they have lower grade requirements. From what I've read on TSR, maths personal statements are barely read, even for Oxbridge applicants.

My personal statement isn't terrible, it just isn't amazing either.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRandomGenius)
    I'm not applying for pure economics - pure economics are a lot more selective with regards to the personal statement as they have lower grade requirements. From what I've read on TSR, maths personal statements are barely read, even for Oxbridge applicants.

My personal statement isn't terrible, it just isn't amazing either.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
    Idk much about Maths degrees so maybe you're right, but from what I've seen and in my personal experience, LSE especially cares about the personal statement.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.