Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I got a B in GCSE Maths so I took Geography, History and Psychology onto A Levels but I'm now really interested in doing an Accounting or Finance related degree at university.

I've looked at lots of universities and none of them require Maths at A Level like QMUL and Southampton etc. However, would good grades not be enough to get if if I haven't take Maths even though it's not required?

I'm planning on getting 1 weeks work experience at an Accountancy firm but I need advice before taking it through and starting on my personal statement.

Thanks

Edit: Or I'm thinking of doing Business Management

ReputationRep:
    Most of the "prestigious" and/or russell group universities ask for at least a B or A grade in a-level maths.

ReputationRep:
    You could email the admissions office and check with them.
    I think getting in the course is different to being able to understand the course material with only GCSE maths, especially when it comes to more complex modules like econometrics or the other one which is calculus and a lot unis get u to take it in first year and you will be in the position of learning everything from scratch? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm commenting on the assumption that a level geography doesn't provide much mathematical or statistical knowledge to you?
    Psychology might,I'm not sure. But it's always best to check with the individual uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhmtkvn)
    Most of the "prestigious" and/or russell group universities ask for at least a B or A grade in a-level maths.
    None of them are asking for it so I'm not sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Lizabeth_)
    None of them are asking for it so I'm not sure.
    When i say the most prestigious, warwick, bristol, lse and so on ask for an a-level in maths. Although, you are able to do a foundation year in warwick.

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking at uni's I think I can get to with where I live and that includes UEA, Queen Mary's, Sheffield, Southampton - these are all respected and prestigious universities and near me. So these don't ask for a level maths which I think I might struggle with since most personal statements I've seen highlight the use of maths for the degree, which is why I'm most likely going to do business.

ReputationRep:
    I hadn't studied maths at school and I'm now on track to graduate in accounting & finance with a first. You don't need it. Obviously having an understanding of advanced maths is beneficial, but is A level maths crucial? No. The maths associated with accounting is basic. Financial maths is slightly more complex, but still relatively easy. Most, if not all, unis will also make accounting & finance students take statistics which again, is complex but not overly so.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Accounting doesn't require an advanced understanding of maths and you don't need an A in a level maths unless you're gonna apply to LSE. I've just done A level accounting and you need B grade gcse understanding in order to succeed. I've also done A Level maths and it has no transferability to accounting from my knowledge. So... to answer you're question, you don't need A level maths if you want to do Accounting and Finance but if you're still unsure, look at the modules of the different courses you're applying to and see if they have any maths modules. I'm going to UoB to do Accounting and Finance and they don't have any maths modules.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.