Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How hard are languages at a level? Were your language grades significantly lower than your other grades at a level? I'm expecting an A* in Spanish GCSE on Thursday if that's any help
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    x

ReputationRep:
    I am a bit of an odd case because I actually went up 3 grades when you compare my GCSE and AS results, but normally people will go down a grade or two at A-Level because it is a big step up. I believe, based on grade boundaries, French & Spanish are more difficult because they really ramp up the grammar (whereas in German you have to deal with that straight away from GCSE) and it takes its toll.

They're harder and a step up, but certainly not unmanageable if you're genuinely committed.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I find languages very easy and therefore I enjoyed A-level as the tasks were more suited to my ability. However, the majority of my class found it to be a much greater challenge, but as long as you consolidate the grammar well and put in the time needed to do this, and also try and immerse yourself in the language as much as possible, for example participating on a language exchange, reading/watching the news in a foreign language at least once a week, you should be able to deal with the challenges. A-levels are a step up in every subject, but if you have an A* at GCSE and you are enthusiastic, then you should be well equipped to be successful at A-level. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask - I did French and Spanish at AS and got As in both.

ReputationRep:
    At AS if you know a language well you can honestly go in to the exam with almost no preparation and get an A. At A2 its difficult because you actually have to learn specific facts and stuff so your language skills on their own can't carry you through.

ReputationRep:
    I would just go for it. Your GCSE result is excellent and you're therefore more than capable. At AS, as long as you revise grammar, learn vocabulary and practice (listening and speaking), you'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucofthewoods)
    How hard are languages at a level? Were your language grades significantly lower than your other grades at a level? I'm expecting an A* in Spanish GCSE on Thursday if that's any help
    That's absolutely great! I did Spanish AS level in year 10, and although I really struggled with it, I managed to get a B, so this is on par with my other grades ABB in physics, maths and chem. Have fun with languages, be creative and experiment with the language, get to grips with it, you'll have a ball if you work hard.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.