Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, so my AS results weren't amazing, a BBDE, so I dropped the E subject and are carrying on with the others. But I really want to do Economics at uni, aiming ultimately to do it at Loughborough with an AAB, but if not there's Keele and University of Buckingham with BBB and BBC. Anyway, I admit I didn't work as hard as maybe I should have, I did really well at GCSE and thought it would be the same, but was wondering how other people maintained the motivation to revise and study, and on the types of revision which are best? I know it differs based on each individual person, but I'm just curious to see how those who get the top grades revise. Thanks for any replies

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RallySPORT)
    Hello, so my AS results weren't amazing, a BBDE, so I dropped the E subject and are carrying on with the others. But I really want to do Economics at uni, aiming ultimately to do it at Loughborough with an AAB, but if not there's Keele and University of Buckingham with BBB and BBC. Anyway, I admit I didn't work as hard as maybe I should have, I did really well at GCSE and thought it would be the same, but was wondering how other people maintained the motivation to revise and study, and on the types of revision which are best? I know it differs based on each individual person, but I'm just curious to see how those who get the top grades revise. Thanks for any replies
    Find something that works for you because at end on the day in about year you'll be collecting your A2 results and you really don't want to be in the position of clearing. Get your act together now before it's too late. Forget what happenned at AS look towards the future anyone can turn it around especially if you are doing linear subjects one of my friends got DDD at AS and got ABB at A2.

For AS i got AABC so I'll tell you how i got my 2 As because i use the same method. First buy a diary and pull up the specification for your AS subjects and break it down into manageable chunks if you have linear subjects or your resitting. During lesson write brief notes and really pay attention and when you get home expand on these notes and do some further reading. On a saturday i make sure my notes are okay and on a sunday i annotate the specification and answer some exam questions. At every half term i throw away my notes and write them all again. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Thanks BRP, your method sounds really good. I think I'll probably try to find the specifications for my subjects, print those off, and every lesson check what we did in the lesson against the spec, and if there's something I don't understand, review it further. I like the idea of further reading too, did you just look through textbooks/revision guides afterwards to add to your notes? Also, did you do anything special with your notes, e.g. did you make mindmaps, a list/summary, flash cards etc. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    If you put in the same amount of work at A level as you did at GCSE then I'm afraid you're not going to succeed, A levels require much more revising and understanding to complete. But don't worry, you've still got time to recover your grades! If you're aiming for unis that require A's though it may be beneficial to retake some units that you scored lower in.

As for how I revise, all I do is read the revision guide/notes and do past papers each day. So a given day for me revising subject x would look like this: read all unit 1 notes/revision guide, do unit 1 past paper, and then repeat for unit 2 the following day etc. I made a schedule to fit in all of my subjects each week, so I made sure I read through everything for all my subjects once per week. I started this at approximately Easter and did it every single day up until the end of exams. For certain subjects, Maths for example, I wrote out the entire textbook in a concise format in my workbook (reducing a 100 page book down to about 20 pages, this isn't as crazy as it sounds lol since maths textbooks have tons of examples in and not much writing), whereas for Politics I just read the revision guide since it was 120 pages of solid text and I cba to make that concise.

But let's say, like me, you did Maths, Physics and Politics. My typical weekly schedule would look like this:
    Monday - Maths 1
    Tuesday - Maths 2
    Wednesday - Maths 3
    Thursday - Physics 1
    Friday - Physics 2
    Saturday - Politics 1
    Sunday - Politics 2

I didn't stop reading that day until I got through the entire unit (with rest periods obviously so I didn't lose concentration), and then did a past paper or two on top to consolidate my application of the knowledge I'd just finished reading. Be consistent though as the weeks go by, it's the only way for such a large volume of information to go in!

I got AAAA at AS and A*AA + A* EPQ at A2 by using this method each year, best of luck and ask away if you have any more questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RallySPORT)
    Thanks BRP, your method sounds really good. I think I'll probably try to find the specifications for my subjects, print those off, and every lesson check what we did in the lesson against the spec, and if there's something I don't understand, review it further. I like the idea of further reading too, did you just look through textbooks/revision guides afterwards to add to your notes? Also, did you do anything special with your notes, e.g. did you make mindmaps, a list/summary, flash cards etc. Thanks
    I didn't buy any revision guides or make any revision cards because i don't learn that way. I just rewrite notes from memory and annotate specifications and answer exam questions. But if those methods work for you then use them.

ReputationRep:
    Annotating the spec sounds a good idea, I downloaded all the specs for my course earlier lol so I'll have a look at those and see what sort of detail they go into. Thanks

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.