Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've just finished my AS year and i'm really wanting to move schools where I would be able to finish my sixth form years as best as I can. I'm having an appointment soon with my new school to talk about doing A2 there, while they're thinking to move me back a year and resit my AS fully if I haven't done well in my exams.
    My results were A - Maths, C - Product Design, D - Further Maths, D- Physics

Is there any chance that I could persuade to them that I can turn these grades around? How would I? If not, is it worth retaking the year over there or is it worth sticking at my former school and just grudging through it with support that would be worse than the support at the new school, at the risk of getting results that aren't any different what I've just got? I honestly think retaking the year is a waste of time while also believing that I'll get no where with my current school.

Any thoughts?

Reposted since I've had no reply, sorry if it's in the wrong place

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you want to do and where you want to go in the future. If you want to go to a top uni then you cant really take A-levels over three years. Why did you not do as well as you hoped? If it was a lack of hard work on your part then changing schools wont help, and id say you should just work harder at A2 and resit some modules. Finally you don't really need to be taking 4 a-levels, especially when you have three facilitating subjects so you might want to think about dropping one.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replying. I want to go to a competitive university but it's not really my highest concern right now as I just want the highest marks possible in all my subjects. This is true for every subject but for product design which is being dropped.

I think I didn't do well because of a lack of work - even though I worked very hard - as well as a lack of support which is the main reason I want to be leaving. One of the exams was also just purely difficult regardless of the amount of work me and my classmates put in, and my Physics exams had been along the same lines except I could've done better with some support. I'm also looking to resit everything except for one exam, which is the one exam that I believe I've done really well in. Most exams were done okay but wasn't done at the level to get myself an A*/A next year.

If what you said is true for getting in the top universities, I can't really resit my AS year if I wan't to be competitive and I also can't stay in the same environment as this will just lead to the same grades. It's a bit tricky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    It depends what you want to do and where you want to go in the future. If you want to go to a top uni then you cant really take A-levels over three years. Why did you not do as well as you hoped? If it was a lack of hard work on your part then changing schools wont help, and id say you should just work harder at A2 and resit some modules. Finally you don't really need to be taking 4 a-levels, especially when you have three facilitating subjects so you might want to think about dropping one.
    Is this actually true? I have heard about someone retaking a year of GCSE's before A levels and then ending up at Cambridge. Also someone who failed AS twice then did well on their 3rd attempt and at A2 then ending up at Cambridge.

I find it hard to believe that Uni's care how many times you had to resit aslong as you have the sufficient results at the end. Maybe im wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    Is this actually true? I have heard about someone retaking a year of GCSE's before A levels and then ending up at Cambridge. Also someone who failed AS twice then did well on their 3rd attempt and at A2 then ending up at Cambridge.
    I've also heard stories to this effect. Hope they're true

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just to clarify you can get into a lot of top unis with 3 years of A Levels! I myself did so as my AS year didn't really go well and I'd apllied to another college after being at the same school for six years, I needed a new environment and reason to work.
    I ended the year with BCEE, moved to another college and just resat with a couple of different subjects. Ended my second AS with ABB, got a decent reference from my tutor where the extra year and poor results was explained as personal issues, and I got offers from the University of Leeds, Manchester, Durham, Sheffield and Hull to do Biomedical Sciences. Set Leeds as my firm and Hull as my insurance which I had an unconditional for, and last week I got my results and my place at Leeds with AAB
    My recommendation from my experience would be to just resit the year at this new sixth form if you get in and try your best. An extra 2 years will prepare you better and allow you to take advantage of any schemes you missed the first time, for example I didn't know about the Reach for Excellence scheme at Leeds in my first year but when I resat I discovered it and it got me involved with the University of Leeds which is why it becsme a preference, and also got me onto the Access to Leeds scheme where I was able to get a reduced offer if I needed it, which I didn't as I met my standard offer but it was nice to have. Plus being at a new college and resitting allowed me to meet the people I call my best friends today and who are going to uni with me

Just do what feels right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)

I find it hard to believe that Uni's care how many times you had to resit aslong as you have the sufficient results at the end. Maybe im wrong
    As far as I'm aware unless you have extenuating circumstances then Oxbridge and probably some of the others won't let you in. And unless you have a reason as to why you performed badly at AS then retaking will not be looked favourably upon. In all fairness if everyone had the opportunity to retake the year then the vast majority would be able to get the top grades, irrespective of your actual ability. But I could be wrong so check with the admissions tutors for the uni's you want to apply to

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.