Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I live at home and commute to uni which is only 10 minutes from my house. I go to a university in London and most people in my uni live at home. The problem is I feel like the friends I made are nothing like me and they're really really boring. They never go out because they're not allowed and they're always making excuses to not go out. I only see them when I go to uni and I get really long holidays off uni so it's kinda hard. Also, the people in my class are really anti social and stick to their cliques. I don't know what to do. I'm hoping that I'm placed in another class when I go back. How can I make new friends in my second year?

ReputationRep:
    You aren't limited to friendships at uni, make some outside of it (like in gyms or other social events)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Fashion lover_97)
    I live at home and commute to uni which is only 10 minutes from my house. I go to a university in London and most people in my uni live at home. The problem is I feel like the friends I made are nothing like me and they're really really boring. They never go out because they're not allowed and they're always making excuses to not go out. I only see them when I go to uni and I get really long holidays off uni so it's kinda hard. Also, the people in my class are really anti social and stick to their cliques. I don't know what to do. I'm hoping that I'm placed in another class when I go back. How can I make new friends in my second year?
    Hello

It's a difficult question to give advice on as everyone makes friends in different ways depending on what they are like socially and what not. It makes it difficult to give decent advice.

You are never exclusive to one friendship whilst at university - I'm going into my third year and my friendship groups have altered a lot as the years have gone on. You could join some societies, as willing as you're to make the effort to travel to campus/stay on campus even when you aren't in lectures, you'll be fine. Just explore groups!

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Everyone is different but in my experience I've made a number of good friends through joining a uni sports team and rugby club outside uni. If you're interested in any sport then I'd say join it. It's good fun, meet a lot of people and it's really easy to become close with people that are also your teammates. I've also found that sports teams tend to love a night out and have a good few socials etc so that would soleve you're problem of not having people to go out with.

Things like uni clubs and societies are very similar, have a look at what your uni has to offer, there tends to always be at least one society that exists just for banter and socials!

Working part-time is a good way to make new friends too. I've got a few of work mates and it's nice to earn a little money and get new friends through it so as long as you have the time I'd recommend that too.

All the best, you'll make friends no problem so don't worry about it!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.