Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What is the music like in spannish bars? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    the dj played bohemion (SP) rhapsody (SP) last nite :cool: :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    I thought that they basically played English music.
    in touristic places yes. Spain, Italy and France are the 3 European countries that have the least English-speaking music. Doesn't mean there isn't any, just not so much.

ReputationRep:
    It will be a bit of a culture shock but maybe thats a good thing, part of te joy of going away I suppose. Even in Edinburgh they played a lot of britpop/madchester stuff which surprised me.

Oh well I take my entire Smiths and JD collection with me, at least I can listen to that during the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    It will be a bit of a culture shock but maybe thats a good thing, part of te joy of going away I suppose. Even in Edinburgh they played a lot of britpop/madchester stuff which surprised me.

Oh well I take my entire Smiths and JD collection with me, at least I can listen to that during the day.
    did you know that hector was the first of the gang to die :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    in touristic places yes. Spain, Italy and France are the 3 European countries that have the least English-speaking music. Doesn't mean there isn't any, just not so much.
    My idea of english music is quite extreme though, stuff like Queen to me is very commercial. Over here a lot of the rarer stuff is more common if that makes sense.

I suppose I will have to settle to their version of house or the YMCA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiksilver)
    did you know that hector was the first of the gang to die :eek:
    hehe yes, I saw Morrisey live last sunday, the crowd went mad for that song, the entire stadium just became a huge sing a long. I reckon that single will easily make top 10.

ReputationRep:
    hehe yes, I saw Morrisey live last sunday, the crowd went mad for that song, the entire stadium just became a huge sing a long. I reckon that single will easily make top 10.
    number 3 on cd:uk i think

ReputationRep:
    My idea of english music is quite extreme though, stuff like Queen to me is very commercial. Over here a lot of the rarer stuff is more common if that makes sense.

I suppose I will have to settle to their version of house or the YMCA.
    you won't find anything intrinsically English like the Cure or Joy Division. I thought the person was talking about just music from English-speaking countries. But in those kinds of places, there are so many British tourists, that someone might have set up a club with typical British music.

Spanish music....they'll be a lot of trumpets.

ReputationRep:
    I like Morrissey. Especially since he learnt how to sing.

ReputationRep:
    cheese on toast

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    you won't find anything intrinsically English like the Cure or Joy Division. I thought the person was talking about just music from English-speaking countries. But in those kinds of places, there are so many British tourists, that someone might have set up a club with typical British music.
    Yeah this what I don't get, I mean the British indie scence is not just for scruffy geeks it seems pretty much mains tream. As for as UK main stream clubbing is concerned you have idnie, rnb, and house/trance.

The the top is often full of indie at the moment, Morrisey, Keane, Franz Ferdinand, The Killers etc shows there is demand.

Maybe when I am rich (haha) I could open up a spanish indie club, 50 cents for a bottle of fosters, 1 euro in. (oh and NUS only )

The spannish may hate me for it though.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah this what I don't get, I mean the British indie scence is not just for scruffy geeks it seems pretty much mains tream. As for as UK main stream clubbing is concerned you have idnie, rnb, and house/trance.

The the top is often full of indie at the moment, Morrisey, Keane, Franz Ferdinand, The Killers etc shows there is demand.

Maybe when I am rich (haha) I could open up a spanish indie club, 50 cents for a bottle of fosters, 1 euro in. (oh and NUS only )

The spannish may hate me for it though.
    Well there used to be a bar called Plastic People in Lyon, France, where I used to go to Uni. Named after the famous place in London (I think). Probably would be your scene. They used to have special "Blur" nights or "Pixies" nights. Great place to meet cute foreign students from Sweden. You could open a bar like that.

The trouble is, a lot of the indie scene in the UK isn't "exportable". Britpop totally killed the British music market because it was too British. In the 80s, the Brits had a 30% share of the US market! That's totally incredible! These days, we've probably got 2 or 3 if we're lucky and it's all thanks to Coldplay, Dido or Franz Ferdinand.

The only British acts that are having decent sales in Spain are the cheesy pop ones...

ReputationRep:
    Spain has the sonar music festival, someone there must like + play sum decent music!

ReputationRep:
    In Llloret and Barcelona? Is it all dance/rnd and spannish stuff?:cool: and a bit of cheese?
    yea theres everything in barca, lots of rnb stuff in la rambla i remember

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobra01977)
    Spain has the sonar music festival, someone there must like + play sum decent music!
    yes! - the sonar music festival is AMAZING

ReputationRep:
    I have though of somthing quite ironic. New Order's Blue Monday was a very cultish dance record played in a lot of Ibiza clubs in 1982/1983 and became so popular that when clubbers returned to back to the UK they had to release as a single. It became the biggest selling 12" single of all time, selling 3 million copies world wide and 1 million in the UK.

But then this was 21 years ago and I am not going to Ibiza

ReputationRep:
    I have though of somthing quite ironic. New Order's Blue Monday was a very cultish dance record played in a lot of Ibiza clubs in 1982/1983 and became so popular that when clubbers returned to back to the UK they had to release as a single. It became the biggest selling 12" single of all time, selling 3 million copies world wide and 1 million in the UK.

But then this was 21 years ago and I am not going to Ibiza
    Are you sure Ibiza was already associated with house music back in 1982? Pacha was still associated with the hippy movement. The British clubs like Gatecrasher and Manumission weren't around yet...
    I guess that didn't stop clubs from playing Blue Monday. It's a great tune, so ahead of its time. It could have come out a few years ago and wouldn't have been out of place.

ReputationRep:
    There was the Benicassim festival but that was in early July.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.