Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    UNI open days start in september and october and they all clash with my weekend job. I'll need to be booking off 4 Saturdays, whats the best way off tackling this with my boss?

ReputationRep:
    Do you really need to go to these open days?

ReputationRep:
    You're entitled to holiday days, just book them off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladbants)
    Do you really need to go to these open days?
    When I'll be spending 3 years of my life there I think its quite important to visit them.

ReputationRep:
    If you've accrued enough holiday then book them each as holiday. If not then it depends on what hours your contract is - if it's zero then you don't need to give a reason or book it off, you just tell them you're unavailable. But if you have contracted hours per week then you'll need to work on other days of the week in place of the one's you need off - the best way of dealing with that is to swap shifts with someone else and the best thing to do is ask a colleague rather than leave it up to your manager to sort because 9 times out of 10 they won't look into it properly/can't be bothered and will just tell you that no one is available - so ask around.

Make sure you do it though, regardless of how tricky it is - as you say, you'll be spending 3 years of your life at where ever you choose and missing out on visiting them due to a P/T job would be daft.

ReputationRep:
    Can you not miss sixth form to go to some of them? Tbh you can just have a look around the university yourself, you don't really need to get shown around.

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried looking at going to open days during the week? I'm sure your college/Sixth Form wouldn't mind you having a handful of days off to visit open days. The open days would probably be less busy during the week so you'd be able to ask more questions and have a better look around.

ReputationRep:
    Tell him you're not coming in and that's that

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.