Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any VERY mature chemistry (or any science) students here Watch

ReputationRep:
    Are there any mature and I mean MATURE as in age 40+ people here considering chemistry or currently studying chemistry or some other science at Uni?

I might be having a mid life crisis who knows but on finding out about the new STEM loans from 2017 I have been considering another degree.
    It would be nice to hear if any old fogies like me are considering the same.

ReputationRep:
    Not quite 40+ and not Very mature in any sense! But 35 and heading on back to uni. I was looking a year ago at the possibility of another degree, but unsure what exactly. I went to some open days, chatted with professors, and here I am just enrolled on a Food Science MSc! There is now funding for postgraduates :0) . So before Ive made a dent in my student loan from 15 years ago, Im getting another one.
    Sorry if I'm not old enough... just finding my way round this TSR thing and apparently a "mature student" is a 21 year old! EEK

ReputationRep:
    If it helps, upon returning you'll find that although you think you're quite old (I'm 35 myself), there really is little difference between everyone, you're all in the same boat and age isn't an issue even if it is a decade or more between you and the younger students.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies. It is good to hear from people going back into education and their experiences.

Congrats on going for your MSc Faye, I considered doing an MSc too until I found out about the STEM loans and thought I might do another degree. Keeping my options open at present.

ReputationRep:
    Not quite there yet, 36 and just about to start MA Anthrozoology. I started a biology degree at 31 and there were lots of mature students. Everyone treats you the same, and if your uni has a mature students society it's a great way to meet people from different courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by novyi)
    Not quite there yet, 36 and just about to start MA Anthrozoology. I started a biology degree at 31 and there were lots of mature students. Everyone treats you the same, and if your uni has a mature students society it's a great way to meet people from different courses.
    Thats great to hear!

ReputationRep:
    Just hit 44 and am about to start my genetics degree. I've had 1 career (non science related) that has now hit a brick wall, so time to start again.

Sent from my SGP611 using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    I'm 51 and just about to go into the third year of an MSci in Astrophysics. It's been a blast so far. I'm itching to get back to it in September.

ReputationRep:
    I am 45 years old and i'm going to enter my fourth year of my Medicine course at Cambridge! It is wonderful. Sorry if I am not old enough.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 40 and starting a second degree in September studying Podiatry.

ReputationRep:
    Wow thanks everyone for your replies, I'm inspired!

I think I will wait and see what is going to happen with the STEM loan situation for 2017 as the full details have not been published yet. Otherwise I might do an MSc instead.

I am itching to get back into education and update my knowledge and skills. I had a long period of illness which put my life on hold but now I am better I want to get back in the game.

Just wanted to add I am 42 (nearly 43), the profile picture isn't me it is the late great Sasha Shulgin.

Thanks again.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.