Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I've just finished a full-time college course and I'm currently in the process of finding a full-time job. I've never been to uni and I don't plan on going anytime soon, for various reasons, but mainly because I don't like studying, I'm quite old now (age 24), I think work experience is more important for my field, and I want to get earning money for a mortgage, travelling, etc.

However, I've always been a bit curious about the student life. I stayed in two different halls during my time at college and that was very disappointingly boring and I ended up only having my non-student boyfriend to go on nights out with. So that experience made me feel like there's no point going to uni just for the social life. College also doesn't really have much in the way of societies, and there were a lot of other mature students who were only there to study and not really to make friends. So my boyfriend is basically my only real friend in my city, and that bothers me a bit sometimes from relying on him too much.

Now, I've only recently discovered though that one of my local unis allows non-students to join their societies, and I'm kinda tempted to try a few. I feel a bit worried about feeling like the odd one out though due to not studying there. I've heard of OU students joining local uni societies, but I'm curious as to how common this really is. Anyone have experience of this? Thanks.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    If it's allowed then it's not a bad idea at all. That way you'll make friends and develop interests away from your boyfriend. Just make sure you go with an open mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    If it's allowed then it's not a bad idea at all. That way you'll make friends and develop interests away from your boyfriend. Just make sure you go with an open mind.
    Yep, even if it doesn't work out, at least I won't be stuck studying somewhere I don't fit in :yep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.