Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

I'm doing an EPQ on 'the consequences of British imperialism' but I've been told the question is too open I want it to be based on African countries preferable Kenya and South Africa. Can anyone think of how to narrow it down?

ReputationRep:
    There are a couple of ways you could go that I can think of as a starting point:
    - 'How/Why did British imperialism impact African countries?'
    - 'What were the consequences of British Imperialism in Kenya and South Africa?'
    If you're looking at a specific type of consequence - social, economic, etc - then that might help narrow it down a bit.
    I was told to change mine from a 'How' question to a 'Why' question when I did mine to make it more analytical than simply recounting the facts.
    Another way you could do it is taking a quote from something you've read on the topic like ''British imperialism had far reaching consequences that are still being felt today.' How can this be seen in Kenya and South Africa?' (a terrible example, but you get the idea)
    I wouldn't say any of these are perfect but it might help you narrow it down enough to make it easier to get your final question!

ReputationRep:
    Well one way of narrowing it down would be to focus on the consequences for a single thing in these countries.

e.g.: education (did the British establish schools/universities? Was there discrimination in education, what impact did this have, does it still have an impact? Where there enough trained engineers or scientists?), or healthcare (similar questions as before, but about hospitals, mass vaccinations, doctors etc. etc.), or the development of democracy (did the British help or hinder it?), or the development of a thriving economy / mass industry / scientific research / established religion / the armed forces

For each of these you could compare the negative and positive impact that imperialism might have had.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    This has really helped!! Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    Do you know when the deadline for the EPQ is?

ReputationRep:
    guys i'm trying to make a questionnaire for my EPQ topic (The Renaissance) but i'm not sure how to do it ?? like what sort of questions should i ask ?? also should i just ask history teachers or should i post it online even though i don't think anyone in my year knows anything about the Renaissance ?

ReputationRep:
    I'll do it for you.

ReputationRep:
    when is the deadline for the EPQ?
    I want to do one but our sixth form has told us nothing about it yet.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.