Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

To those who live with a partner, do you split costs 50:50? watch

ReputationRep:
    For those who live with their boyfriend/ girlfriend or spouse, do you split the rent entirely down the middle? Say if one of you earned over £10k more than the other, do you still split things 50/50?

ReputationRep:
    Of course not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersaps)
    Of course not.
    So how do you go about it? Do you split it in proportion to income?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    So how do you go about it? Do you split it in proportion to income?
    We have a joint bank account. We don't really keep track of who is paying in what as her money is my money and my money is her money. It does make a difference that I'm married.

You're probably in a relationship where you can't trust each other that much as most people that live together split up after 2 years or less. So, you're probably better off finding an arrangement where it can be separated more easily.

A proportionate system is fairer, however, you don't want to get into the spiral of 'Who's paying for this?' as it can only lead to resentment.

Best of luck,

SS
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Yes we split everything 50/50, we put equal amounts in our joint account for bills, some joint lesuire things and rent. Then we keep the rest of our wages in our own accounts. My fiancé earns roughly 3k more than me a year but until we have a child I would always aim for a 50/50 split ( once I take maternity leave them we d go proportional shares)

ReputationRep:
    We're also married, we have individual bank accounts and a joint one for all household expenses. We each pay the same proportion (~50%) of our salary into the account, and all rent, bills, joint costs are paid from there. At the moment I earn more so pay more in, but as I'm going on maternity leave and then going part time, my salary will drop so it'll probably even up a bit.

The rest of the money is ours to do what we like with, though a fair bit ends up in savings which are mostly for joint use (most of that's about to become our house deposit).

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend and I are 50/50 at the beginning of the month - we both transfer 50% of our total bills to the joint account. However, he earns a lot more than me so he'll often lend me money when I need it. We probably end up 70/30 overall. But like SS said, we see it less as yours/mine and more as ours.

ReputationRep:
    Used to share a room with my ex gf at uni. We split the rent 50/50. And we shared food.

ReputationRep:
    No. We have shared bills and individual bills. Neither of us really see the point in creating a situation where the ther has to ask permission to buy something or have pocket money for a coffee at lunch.

I'm a self employed student my income is very small but I've downsized my expenses and forfeited some rent in order to reduce debt. Long term this is much better for our joint credit rating. I'm not on the mortgage yet because self employed but when I can be, we want to be in strong position.

Shared life goals and shared quality of life goals have more impact on how the distribution of money is than trying to stick religiously to 50/50.

However, my partner likes to be "taking care" of me/us. So he is the one that goes through all the bills and organises how they're I'll be paid and when. He likes to keep track of everything. I would argue and do girl power thing but it's important to him, therefore me. Also, I have mental health disability which can flare up. He keeps everything in check for us

ReputationRep:
    until recently he earned a little more than me but not a huge amount so we split everything 50/50

now I moved for his career and he's earning a lot more than me so he's going to be paying more although we haven't worked out the specifics yet as I don't have a job at the moment

do whatever works in your relationship OP, you have to be honest with each other or you'll end up resenting the situation you have

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.