Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm looking for a little advice in relation to training within the foot care industry. To cut a long story short, I'm a degree (nothealth based) educated professional, currently working within the private health care sector. I have held my position for almost ten years, however I don't feel as though my career is developing in the way I want. I would very much like to hone the skills and experience I have gained in an area that interests me. I have long had an interest in podiatry, however despite considering all possible avenues, I simply cannot afford to drop £25k on adegree. As much as I would really like to. I am therefore considering other alternative (lesser) qualifications that would afford me the ability to learn and work in a foot health capacity, albeit at a rudimentary level, in the hope that in the not to distant future I can afford to undertake a Bsc.

*Just to clarify, I realise that I would need a degree to practice as a podiatrist and I'm not looking for way to circumvent that, only alternative paths of study that would at least allow me to practice basic level foot care (assuming such qualifications even exist)*

Can anyone please tell me, outside of a degree, what are the best qualifications I could undertake in order to gain at the very least an intermediate level understanding of foot health / care? I would ideally like to study more than one course in order to expand my knowledge. I really don't knowwhere to start though.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Michael
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by 3drealm)
    Hi

I'm looking for a little advice in relation to training within the foot care industry. To cut a long story short, I'm a degree (nothealth based) educated professional, currently working within the private health care sector. I have held my position for almost ten years, however I don't feel as though my career is developing in the way I want. I would very much like to hone the skills and experience I have gained in an area that interests me. I have long had an interest in podiatry, however despite considering all possible avenues, I simply cannot afford to drop £25k on adegree. As much as I would really like to. I am therefore considering other alternative (lesser) qualifications that would afford me the ability to learn and work in a foot health capacity, albeit at a rudimentary level, in the hope that in the not to distant future I can afford to undertake a Bsc.

*Just to clarify, I realise that I would need a degree to practice as a podiatrist and I'm not looking for way to circumvent that, only alternative paths of study that would at least allow me to practice basic level foot care (assuming such qualifications even exist)*

Can anyone please tell me, outside of a degree, what are the best qualifications I could undertake in order to gain at the very least an intermediate level understanding of foot health / care? I would ideally like to study more than one course in order to expand my knowledge. I really don't knowwhere to start though.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Michael
    This sort of role might be of interest to you: *https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp...atry-assistant

Also there are a lot of alternative medicine courses available in foot care, which are not so medical-based but would allow you to gain knowledge of anatomy and physiology and various therapeutic treatments. Once accredited, there would be nothing stopping you running a private foot care clinic with reflexology/massage etc.

Really it depends whether you want a clinical role or not. I'm not sure what the demand is for podiatry assistants and how many jobs are actually available, but if you desperately want to go into a medical podiatry sort of job then this seems to be the best option.*

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, that's very helpful

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.