Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I cannot for the life of me do eyeliner, I've bought both pencil and liquid but I just cannot get it anywhere near my lash line. It always seems to end up halfway up my eyelid ( might be a slight exaggeration) and I don't know where I'm going wrong. Are there any tips or tricks? Help me please 🙏🏼

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovefruit)
    I cannot for the life of me do eyeliner, I've bought both pencil and liquid but I just cannot get it anywhere near my lash line. It always seems to end up halfway up my eyelid ( might be a slight exaggeration) and I don't know where I'm going wrong. Are there any tips or tricks? Help me please 🙏🏼
    Rest your elbow on a surface like a table and keep your hand on your cheek when you do it as a sort of guide so you can't go too off

ReputationRep:
    Eye liner is one of those things that takes a while to get the hang of! I've been trying since I was 14 and I still struggle!!! I actually have been using gel eyeliner so I use an angled brush to apply it, this is just what I use and I cannot use other types of eyeliner as I feel like I have more control with a brush than the fine tips in liquid liners! I tend to pull on the side of my eye with one had to stretch the skin so it's easier to draw the line on! You need precision and it's just something that takes time to get used to I'm afraid!!! I also would reccommend that you start in the middle of your eye because this is where your eyeliner will probably be the thickest and doesn't need as much precision as it tends to come to a point and get thinner near the ends. Then don't just draw one straight line, brush it on like when painting and take it a little bit at a time, this will hopefully mean there's less error. That's the best I can do, hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're supposed to outline your eye with it

ReputationRep:
    I always pull my eyelid out a bit when I do my eyeliner, like with the lid closed and pulled out to the side with my left hand, while my right hand does the lining.

ReputationRep:
    I would highly recommend trying a gel! You can get it for a reasonable price in your nearest drug store, along with a thin brush! i think its so much easier to use as you can control how much gel you are using each time!

ReputationRep:
    I use liquid and have for years and I'm still not good at it lmao. I do agree with the whole 'pull your eyelid' thing though, because keeping the skin taut can help you keep it precise.I'd also recommend checking the type of brush that is in the liquid liners; some are very bendy and flexible, whilst others are a bit harder and rigid. It's definitely a lot easier to control the latter type, so they would be more helpful to you.

ReputationRep:
    I use the Collection Pen Eyeliner (I can't remember what it's called) but it costs £2.99 and it's fab. It stays on through my naps and stays pigmented all day, but I've always found it easier with a pen-type eyeliner because it's like any other pen but for your eye
    I've never been able to do it without holding my eyelid down, so I hold it down right next to the nose and draw my line from there. If you're going to a particular eyeliner style, you can draw the wing first and this will dictate the rest of the line. If you're worried about that little line of skin that is left sometimes when you draw too high, angle your pen downwards slightly as this usually helps.
    It also takes practice, after a few years of drawing them I can usually get them right first time now Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Guys I've nailed it! It's on fleek:banana:

ReputationRep:
    Guys I've nailed it! It's on fleek:banana:
    Haha lucky you!
    I still can't do it so I ended up buying a stencil that works on days when it wants to and on other days I jus don't bother 😂😂🙈

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.