Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is almost every single grad-level Engineering job through an agency? watch

ReputationRep:
    Outside of the blue chip companies it seems like almost every single grad-level Engineering job is through a recruitment agency.

Why is this? Anyone got any ideas on how to avoid the agencies?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Why are you against going through an agency? It wouldn't hurt to use one and look elsewhere. Try contacting companies directly and even sending off some prospective applications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Why are you against going through an agency? It wouldn't hurt to use one and look elsewhere. Try contacting companies directly and even sending off some prospective applications.
    With agencies there's no real contract, for example you could be told to leave at any time without notice. The agency also takes 10-20% of your wage, so you are better off being employed directly by the engineering firm in that respect alone. I'm sure theres many more disadvantaged to going through an agency (though there some benefits i.e. its easy)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noybb)
    With agencies there's no real contract, for example you could be told to leave at any time without notice. The agency also takes 10-20% of your wage, so you are better off being employed directly by the engineering firm in that respect alone. I'm sure theres many more disadvantaged to going through an agency (though there some benefits i.e. its easy)
    I'm not sure that those are the kind of agencies the OP was speaking of. A lot of the jobs are advertised by recruitment consultants on behalf of recruitment agencies which get paid to find suitable candidates. Rather than employment agencies like Adecco which do actually take a cut of your salary.

In response to OP the reason this is common outside of the bluechip companies is as its easier for them to pay someone to sort out this side of business for them.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.