Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bad GCSEs, good A- level/ Level 3 grades- will I get offers from uni?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    When I was at school I was really lazy and did not know the consiqunces of failing my Gcses. Therefore I left with the following GCSEs

GCSE English C
    Btec science Pass
    Btec IT Pass
    Btec Sport Pass

After realising I messed up, I went on to retaking my GCSE maths and ended up getting a grade C for maths.

My current GCSEs are 2Cs (English and maths) and 3 passes(Btec)

Because I now had English and maths at grade C I was accepted onto a level 3 extended diploma in Engineering and I am predicted D* D* D* ( distinctions in both maths units). I am also doing many extra curricular activities such as Summer school, EPQ and also volunteering at a mechanical engineering place.

My question is, wil unis such as University of Nottingham , Birmingham and aston still consider me even with really poor GCSEs. However I do exceed their A level/ level 3 requirements ? Please help I'm reall worried😟😞I want to do the Beng in Mechcanical engineering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azizul98)
    Hi,
    When I was at school I was really lazy and did not know the consiqunces of failing my Gcses. Therefore I left with the following GCSEs

GCSE English C
    Btec science Pass
    Btec IT Pass
    Btec Sport Pass

After realising I messed up, I went on to retaking my GCSE maths and ended up getting a grade C for maths.

Because I now had English and maths at grade C I was accepted onto a level 3 extended diploma in Engineering and I am predicted D* D* D* ( distinctions in both maths units). I am also doing many extra curricular activities such as Summer school, EPQ and also volunteering at a mechanical engineering place.

My question is, wil unis such as University of Nottingham , Birmingham and aston still consider me even with really poor GCSEs. However I do exceed their A level/ level 3 requirements ? Please help I'm reall worried😟😞I want to do the Beng in Mechcanical engineering.
    Most universities do not look into gcses unless its for degrees such as dentistry, medicine etc. Have you tried checking the university's website? They usually have a small section on gcses. There are usually sections regarding a levels and BTECs which indicate whether they take applicants with BTECs. Most applicants for engineering degrees have a levels in maths physics further maths etc. So you would have to check the universitys course entry requirements. I know most universities offer applicants with BTECs as long as you have steady distinctions throughout the course.
    Hope this helps.😀

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

GCSE English C
    Btec science Pass
    Btec IT Pass
    Btec Sport Pass

What courses are you going for? Unless it's a very competitive course, they likely won't look at your GCSEs too much, provided you have the required GCSE grades, which should be specified on the website. There, you'll also find information about what specific grades you need on your BTEC, if they are accepted for that course. I'm also unsure if 3 passes at BTEC is viewed the same as 3 good passes at GCSE. Again, I would take a look at the university's entry requirements for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    What courses are you going for? Unless it's a very competitive course, they likely won't look at your GCSEs too much, provided you have the required GCSE grades, which should be specified on the website. There, you'll also find information about what specific grades you need on your BTEC, if they are accepted for that course. I'm also unsure if 3 passes at BTEC is viewed the same as 3 good passes at GCSE. Again, I would take a look at the university's entry requirements for that.
    I want to do Beng mechanical engineering....not sure if that's a competitive course? I have checked unis websites and ucas and they all seem to say I need English and maths at grade C which I have. However I only meet their minimum requirements and therefore I'm just a bit worried they might reject me

ReputationRep:
    I want to do Beng mechanical engineering....not sure if that's a competitive course? I have checked unis websites and ucas and they all seem to say I need English and maths at grade C which I have. However I only meet their minimum requirements and therefore I'm just a bit worried they might reject me
    Then that should be fine then! Does it say anything about BTEC requirements?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamiemcq17)
    Most universities do not look into gcses unless its for degrees such as dentistry, medicine etc. Have you tried checking the university's website? They usually have a small section on gcses. There are usually sections regarding a levels and BTECs which indicate whether they take applicants with BTECs. Most applicants for engineering degrees have a levels in maths physics further maths etc. So you would have to check the universitys course entry requirements. I know most universities offer applicants with BTECs as long as you have steady distinctions throughout the course.
    Hope this helps.😀
    Yeah I am predicted D* D* D* (triple distinction star) with distinctions in both maths units. I'm mainly worried for my GCSEs as they only meet the minimum requirements for the unis I want to go to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Then that should be fine then! Does it say anything about BTEC requirements?
    Yeah, for the university of Notingham they want D* DD and distinctions in both maths units

UOB want D* D* D*

I want to get into one of those unis 😊

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I am predicted D* D* D* (triple distinction star) with distinctions in both maths units. I'm mainly worried for my GCSEs as they only meet the minimum requirements for the unis I want to go to.
    I doubt you have anything to worry about. As long as you have a good personal statement along with your predicted D*D*D* then you should be fine. Also, Mechanical Engineering is not a competitive course in the least bit.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, for the university of Notingham they want D* DD and distinctions in both maths units

UOB want D* D* D*

I want to get into one of those unis 😊
    That'll be fine then! Good luck on achieving that prediction!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.