Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm posting on behalf of my daughter, who doesn't really do forums!

She's just got her AS level results and can't decide whether to put Oxford or Cambridge on her UCAS form (nice choice to have I guess!). She wants to do Law.

She did an outreach weekend covering Law and other Humanities at Cambridge at Easter, and loved it, and then did a week's Uniq Law residential at Oxford and also loved that. Her slight preference is Oxford based on these but she would like to apply for whichever one she'd have more chance of getting into.

GCSE's - she got 5A* 4A and 1B
    However (i) her application will have a good chance of being "flagged" for contextual data as these were the best results at her school where not many go onto Oxbridge and we live in a bit of a rubbish postcode and (ii) there were some extenuating circumstances that we will ask her college reference to put down - basically she has Aspergers, ADHD and Depression / Anxiety which caused her a lot of problems in secondary education, also the school told her not to apply for extra time for her GCSEs as "you won't get that at A Level or Uni" which turned out to be wrong, and she does now get extra time for her A Levels!

AS - she got 3 A's (in Wales these still count 50% towards her overall A Levels):
    Government and Politics UMS 98 + 92 = 190/200
    Geography UMS 95 + 82 = 177/200
    Law UMS 94 + 72 = 166/200

She wants to resit the 72 in Law (also asked for her marked script back) as she normally does much better in that subject (it's actually been her best one in class essays, mocks,etc) - she said there was a "funny question" which she thinks she may have messed up. Also, she ran out of time on revision so only covered certain topics meaning that she had to do the funny question!

The main differences in the two Unis in terms of admissions as far as we can make out so far are:

Oxford seem to look more at GCSEs (we were told in the Open Day that they no longer look at AS results as not all schools now declare them)

Cambridge do still look at AS results where declared

Oxford uses the LNAT test which is used as part of the decision whether to interview

Cambridge has their own Cambridge Law Test however this is done at Interview so not used to sift people out beforehand

Cambridge interview more people (80% of applicants) whereas Oxford sift more people out pre-interview

Finally, Cambridge's standard offer for Law is A*AA whereas Oxford's is AAA

So, does anyone think she's more likely to get into one over the other based on the above, or are both equally likely / unlikely?

ReputationRep:
    Hello , This is another Mum who went through this a six years ago with her daughter . She eventually chose Cambridge as she thought it was more 'state school friendly ' and although she did not study Law - she did English - she is now a lawyer .
    One of the best pieces of advice given to her was on her choice of A levels. We all know how competitive entry into Oxbridge is and she knew she wanted to convert to Law afterwards she chose to do two essay based subjects ( English and History ) , she was advised this would help in converting to Law . She also had Economics and a B in Maths . We were also advised that a mixture of Arts and either sciences or maths would be good . As it turns out they were right, almost all the students doing English at her college had either maths/physics/chemistry as well as the required English /History /Language .
    It may also be worth contacting the admissions office of the college your daughter chooses as certain colleges do operate an unofficial 'acceptable' A level list . I'm saying this as Government and Politics and Law are very similar disciplines and it would be good to know which A levels in combination with others would work on her application .
    Of course there is a lot more to it than A levels and it seems that you've gone into it all very thoroughly . Its a stressful time for Mums and Dads as well as our children but I'm sure , with the support your daughter has , she will be fine
    Best of Luck x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mummoone)
    Hello , This is another Mum who went through this a six years ago with her daughter . She eventually chose Cambridge as she thought it was more 'state school friendly ' and although she did not study Law - she did English - she is now a lawyer .
    One of the best pieces of advice given to her was on her choice of A levels. We all know how competitive entry into Oxbridge is and she knew she wanted to convert to Law afterwards she chose to do two essay based subjects ( English and History ) , she was advised this would help in converting to Law . She also had Economics and a B in Maths . We were also advised that a mixture of Arts and either sciences or maths would be good . As it turns out they were right, almost all the students doing English at her college had either maths/physics/chemistry as well as the required English /History /Language .
    It may also be worth contacting the admissions office of the college your daughter chooses as certain colleges do operate an unofficial 'acceptable' A level list . I'm saying this as Government and Politics and Law are very similar disciplines and it would be good to know which A levels in combination with others would work on her application .
    Of course there is a lot more to it than A levels and it seems that you've gone into it all very thoroughly . Its a stressful time for Mums and Dads as well as our children but I'm sure , with the support your daughter has , she will be fine
    Best of Luck x
    Thanks. I'm a Dad by the way

I know some colleges require specific subjects but not the ones she's looking at, apparently. The Oxford one, for example, says on its website under Law:

"No particular A level subjects (or their equivalents) are required and indeed, candidates apply from a wide background of subjects."

Whether this is really true, there is no way of knowing I guess, but it would be difficult for her to switch to another A Level and do it all in one year at this stage I think. She is also doing the Welsh Baccalaureate which, although not counted for offer purposes, Universities do like it apparently as it is wider learning (most Universities do count it as one of the three A levels, but not Oxbridge!)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.