The Student Room Group

Frustration with CIE

Hey guys,
I'm super frustrated and confused at the moment. So I was looking at CIE's past papers and I don't see any correlation with questions from previous years unlike with AQA and OCR that tend to repeat similar questions from previous years. This exam board is constantly, constantly being updated with new specifications like every two years and completely new syllabuses every four years. I don't know if I should still do all of the past papers since the ones from previous years were for a different specification or syllabus.
If anyone is using this exam board or has, it would be great to hear your thoughts. I'm so fed up...
Reply 1
What's wrong with it? Structure of the exam has been the same for years (though it changed slightly this year) and content is only sparingly altered every couple years. Of course they don't repeat questions, why would they do that? Are you finding something specific to be difficult?
Reply 2
Original post by Dohaeris
What's wrong with it? Structure of the exam has been the same for years (though it changed slightly this year) and content is only sparingly altered every couple years. Of course they don't repeat questions, why would they do that? Are you finding something specific to be difficult?

No, I don't think you've understood me. I'll explain further :smile:
But first, I'd like to ask Is CIE the only exam board you're using?
Reply 3
Original post by Cherry82
No, I don't think you've understood me. I'll explain further :smile:
But first, I'd like to ask Is CIE the only exam board you're using?

No, CIE and Edexcel
Reply 4
No, CIE and Edexcel

Oh ok.
But what I mean is this, here in the UK we have exam boards such as OCR, AQA, even Edexcel but not the international Edexcel that students abroad use then WJEC etc.

Here's an example of what I mean.
OCR, AQA, Edexcel (UK) did not drastically change their specifications from 2008/2009 until now with the reforms. But with CIE, it happens almost every four years though the content may relatively be the same.
The content is the same for the other exam boards too but they don't drastically change things so often. They did stop january re-sits in the UK back in 2013 but if you did a past paper with these exam boards so 2014 all the way up to 2008, you'll see how the exam board has re-used certain questions and maybe rephrased it which is why you could predict certain questions or notice similar questions from the past years as you're in the exam room. With CIE on the other hand, this doesn't seem to be the case but I could be totally wrong as I'm new to using this exam board. I was looking through their A level geography past papers from 2016 to 2011 and saw no resemblance. Maybe I need to go further, looking at 2005 even.
Reply 5
Oh ok.
But what I mean is this, here in the UK we have exam boards such as OCR, AQA, even Edexcel but not the international Edexcel that students abroad use then WJEC etc.

Here's an example of what I mean.
OCR, AQA, Edexcel (UK) did not drastically change their specifications from 2008/2009 until now with the reforms. But with CIE, it happens almost every four years though the content may relatively be the same.
The content is the same for the other exam boards too but they don't drastically change things so often. They did stop january re-sits in the UK back in 2013 but if you did a past paper with these exam boards so 2014 all the way up to 2008, you'll see how the exam board has re-used certain questions and maybe rephrased it which is why you could predict certain questions or notice similar questions from the past years as you're in the exam room. With CIE on the other hand, this doesn't seem to be the case but I could be totally wrong as I'm new to using this exam board. I was looking through their A level geography past papers from 2016 to 2011 and saw no resemblance. Maybe I need to go further, looking at 2005 even.

Fair enough, I guess. Lots of students don't do too well on CIE exams, the exams can get really difficult at times, but check out the grade thresholds, they compensate for it. You'll probably be surprised how much lower the A grade is than it might be for Edexcel or AQA,
Reply 6
Fair enough, I guess. Lots of students don't do too well on CIE exams, the exams can get really difficult at times, but check out the grade thresholds, they compensate for it. You'll probably be surprised how much lower the A grade is than it might be for Edexcel or AQA,

:cry:what have I gotten myself into?! I should have just stayed with Edexcel now it's too late. I only chose CIE because of Oct/Nov exams.
Yea, I saw the grade threshold for this year and thought it was ok. But I'd rather feel confident in the exam and have high thresholds than feel terrible and having low thresholds. I know it seems prideful but feeling confident keeps you in high spirits during exam period, than feeling like crap which usually ends up spoiling my whole mood.
Reply 7
:cry:what have I gotten myself into?! I should have just stayed with Edexcel now it's too late. I only chose CIE because of Oct/Nov exams.
Yea, I saw the grade threshold for this year and thought it was ok. But I'd rather feel confident in the exam and have high thresholds than feel terrible and having low thresholds. I know it seems prideful but feeling confident keeps you in high spirits during exam period, than feeling like crap which usually ends up spoiling my whole mood.

Trust me, you can get high marks and feel confident about it, that was the case for me. What subjects are you doing? Have you started/been studying/revising for them?
Reply 8
Trust me, you can get high marks and feel confident about it, that was the case for me. What subjects are you doing? Have you started/been studying/revising for them?

I hope so :frown:
With CIE I'm doing Geography. I kept switching between subjects but this seems like my final decision.

Quick Reply

Latest