Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am 26 years old and I have a bachelor degree in Physiotherapy from 2012 (from outside UK). I couldn't find work after graduation therefore I moved on to work at hospital administration. Now I feel like it is time to move on. I don't think I am no longer able to go do clinical work and with my degree it is difficult to find work in non healthcare related field. I want to get a degree in something else such as business or human resource management in the UK.

I would like to know where I could find a list of schools that take students for second undergraduate degree. I noticed that I could apply straight to Masters degree but I can't undestand how it's possible to get a Masters in 1 year when my bachelor degree is not anyway related to the field os study.

Thank you in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Hello, every university accepts students to do a second undergraduate degree. Many people go back to university at any age for a second degree for a change of career, its not uncommon and its not a problem. You can do a masters degree because when you study for a degree you learn lots of general skills that are applicable for many other fields of study although most universities would want it to be related.

If you want to do something clinical related, Paramedic Science is a good degree, at some universities like Sheffield Hallam University its only a 2
    year degree and you have experience of working in a hospital environment so that would look really good and help with your application. If your worried about doing clinical work because of your age I know people who became paramedics in their 30s so age is not a problem and your still very young.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christone96)
    Hello, every university accepts students to do a second undergraduate degree. Many people go back to university at any age for a second degree for a change of career, its not uncommon and its not a problem. You can do a masters degree because when you study for a degree you learn lots of general skills that are applicable for many other fields of study although most universities would want it to be related.

If you want to do something clinical related, Paramedic Science is a good degree, at some universities like Sheffield Hallam University its only a 2
    year degree and you have experience of working in a hospital environment so that would look really good and help with your application. If your worried about doing clinical work because of your age I know people who became paramedics in their 30s so age is not a problem and your still very young.
    Thanks Chris for your reply. The age is not a problem for me, more of the fact that I haven't done any clinical work. I appreciate your suggestion, but I am willing to let go of the hospital world

The UCAS site that defines mature students to be over 21 and have no degree. I asked a few universities if I was able to apply since I already have a degree
    said that it is only possible to get in if they didn't have enough first time applicants.

If i can apply to study anywhere I want (well...obviously the entry requirements) then there is no problems!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rex-rex)
    Thanks Chris for your reply. The age is not a problem for me, more of the fact that I haven't done any clinical work. I appreciate your suggestion, but I am willing to let go of the hospital world

The UCAS site that defines mature students to be over 21 and have no degree. I asked a few universities if I was able to apply since I already have a degree
    said that it is only possible to get in if they didn't have enough first time applicants.

If i can apply to study anywhere I want (well...obviously the entry requirements) then there is no problems!
    Can you fund yourself (£27,000 total tuition fees + living costs for 3 years)? You can't get Student Finance funding for most second degrees.*

ReputationRep:
    Second degree student in Law, but self-funded with scholarships.

ReputationRep:
    The funding options would probably be hardest thing about going to University for a second undergrade degree. Have you considered a post-grad degree in HR instead?

ReputationRep:
    You are not interested in any kind of physical therapy role where the learning from your degree may be directly or indirectly transferable?

Most universities will take you on to study a second degree so long as you are clear about how you plan to self fund. Commensurate skills will get you onto a masters course in a different field if you are interested in that option.

ReputationRep:
    If i had a bachelors degree already and working fully time and wanted to do another bachelors? I would do it in open university especially if finding another job would be difficult for me. Its cheaper but you need much more in self discipline and their marking is harsher (one of the reasons their degrees have worth).

Its possible you wont find what you want from open university so going red brick would be the ways forward. However if you study full time, youre going to need at least £10k saved up for each year of uni and dont forget the accomodation. So £30k in saving at least, haver you done that already? Unless you do part time which is not easy but possible... Risky for me, id study in my free time at open uni (theyre not paying me for this endorsement).

I can only give you my personal opinion, i am no expert so take me with a big pinch of salt!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.