Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Which education pathway would you recommend for a future career as a Paralegal? Is it better to take on a governmental apprenticeship or is University more suitable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 281099)
    Which education pathway would you recommend for a future career as a Paralegal? Is it better to take on a governmental apprenticeship or is University more suitable?
    An apprenticeship will be more valuable I think. You don't pay anything for it unlike university; you get paid ,even if minimal amounts BUT you get experience which is vital!

Uni is good if you want to go even further and become a solicitor or barrister. You can become a paralegal even without any formal education like uni. If you get a job in a law firm, they can train you up. Another alternative for you is a Legal Executive. Takes years to qualify and there is not much difference between them and a solicitor but it takes years to qualify.

If I was you, I would go with an apprenticeship. Will save you a lot of hard work when you look for jobs later because you would already have experience.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    There are now "Access to Law" schemes. Bond Dickinson is a pathfinder firm in this respect, have a look through their careers section, it will give you an insight into the different ways.

Paralegaling can be a career in itself, but it is mostly populated by students trying to get Training Contracts, and therefore have a strong legal knowledge already.

Lawyer2B did a good article on Paralegals: http://l2b.thelawyer.com/paralegal-h...heck-survey-2/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sydneyfox)
    An apprenticeship will be more valuable I think. You don't pay anything for it unlike university; you get paid ,even if minimal amounts BUT you get experience which is vital!

Uni is good if you want to go even further and become a solicitor or barrister. You can become a paralegal even without any formal education like uni. If you get a job in a law firm, they can train you up. Another alternative for you is a Legal Executive. Takes years to qualify and there is not much difference between them and a solicitor but it takes years to qualify.

If I was you, I would go with an apprenticeship. Will save you a lot of hard work when you look for jobs later because you would already have experience.
    Thanks for the advice was very helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mimir)
    There are now "Access to Law" schemes. Bond Dickinson is a pathfinder firm in this respect, have a look through their careers section, it will give you an insight into the different ways.

Paralegaling can be a career in itself, but it is mostly populated by students trying to get Training Contracts, and therefore have a strong legal knowledge already.

Lawyer2B did a good article on Paralegals: http://l2b.thelawyer.com/paralegal-h...heck-survey-2/
    Great i'll have a look at the link

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.