Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I was disappointed to get an ACD in my AS results (in Bus. Studies, Politics and Geography respectively) and was wondering how I should handle retaking the Politics and Geography exams (4 in total). Last year I didn't revise enough and was very easily distracted but I felt confident after each exam I took. For personal reasons, I would hate to have a year out at all, and wish to go to university next September. However, my aspirational university requires an AAB, and for my second question I was wondering whether it would be a good option to apply for the business management course with my predicted grades, which could go as low as ABC, but may get to ABB-AAC?

To summarise, I'm wondering how to handle re-sitting 4 AS exams while doing A2's and I'm also extremely scared of being in a bad situation a year from now as a lot of extremely important things weigh heavily on how I do, and I know how a few hours of exams will determine all of that and I'm worried about how to make sure I don't mess it all up. Also, whether it's worth applying to AAB uni's?

Thank you
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    x

ReputationRep:
    Do not re sit any exams/units that you got a C grade in for example if you got C in unit 2 of geography don't bother resitting it because you wont have enough time to dedicate to your A2 exams and you may end up regretting it. I resat 5 AS exams in year 13 (big mistake) , if I could go back I would have only re sat 2 as the others i had already secured a C grade. You might think there's no harm in resitting because the higher grade is taken forward but you will end up with an overload of work and won't reach your potential for your A2 exams (this happened to me).

TIPS FOR AS RESITS
    1) START REVISING STRAIGHT AWAY
    You won't have as much workload from September to December so you don't want to waste those months.

2) REVISION TECHNIQUE
    Have a revision technique that works eg. making notes than using mind maps and note card to learn and memorize

3) SET DEADLINES
    e.g. make a deadline to finish all your notes for resit exams by November

4) PAST PAPER MARKED BY TEACHERS *************
    do exam questions and past papers that you give to your teachers to mark and give you feedback on
    start this from the beginning of the year and you will see your past paper grades getting better by exam period

5) USE FREE PERIODS
    use all your free periods to do homework so that you have time to do all your revision after school

6) SET TIME ASIDE FOR REVISION
    set some time after school and on weekends when you should be revising

7)DON'T NEGLECT A2 EXAMS/SUBJECTS

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to study Business Management at Newcastle university London. My grades were BDC (quite disappointed since my predicted grades were AAB). The entry requirements for the course were AAB but I got in despite missing my grades. I think this was because grades dropped this year.

You'll have 5 choices, apply to two unis with AAB, two with ABB and use the last choice as a back up (maybe BBC). Your sixth form/ college will advice you further on this.
    If you're confident you can get AAB or ABB your teachers will most likely move your predicted grades up. Make sure you have a good personal statement and you apply to your unis straight away before the deadline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by revisor1233333)
    I'm going to study Business Management at Newcastle university London. My grades were BDC (quite disappointed since my predicted grades were AAB). The entry requirements for the course were AAB but I got in despite missing my grades. I think this was because grades dropped this year.

You'll have 5 choices, apply to two unis with AAB, two with ABB and use the last choice as a back up (maybe BBC). Your sixth form/ college will advice you further on this.
    If you're confident you can get AAB or ABB your teachers will most likely move your predicted grades up. Make sure you have a good personal statement and you apply to your unis straight away before the deadline.
    Hey, thanks for all the tips. Been a little while since I posted this thread but yeah that's all what I'm going to do, except I will be retaking all 4 modules I think. I've already started revision too, and have daily plans and for weekends as well in order to stay on top and ahead so when it gets to the crunch time around March, I'll be okay. I'll be using free periods effectively and also re-writing notes each day after my A2 classes, should help. Just have to keep working my hardest and not to get distracted, because I know it's worth it. Take care, and congrats for getting into Newcastle!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.