Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • #1
    • Thread Starter

    So this is an extremely stupid question but I'm horribly anxious and get nervous outside, so I've never really learned how to do a lot of stuff, one of which is how to send a letter or parcel.

    I'm supposed to be sending someone a small package containing a few playing cards to someone but for the life of me I don't know how to go about sending it or what/how to get stamps or whatever. Anyone provide a little insight?

    Look on the royal mail website to see the prices and different ways to send it (1st class, 2nd class, tracked etc.). Then all you have to do is write down the full address with post code on the package to where you want to send it, bring it to your local post office, show it to them and say you want to send it (insert post type, eg, first class) and they will get it sorted. Might weight it or check the size and then will put the needed stamps or whatever on and you pay for it.
    • Community Assistant

    Community Assistant
    The basics are:

    Package the stuff (envelope, box, whatever is appropriate)
    Write the address on the front
    Write your return address on the back (just in case it needs to be sent back to you, make it clear that this is a return address)
    Either buy stamps and post it (generally letters only) or go into a post office and ask to send it. They'll charge you an appropriate amount for postage.

    As someone who used to deal in TCG buying and selling I can give you a little more insight into sending cards in the mail.

    Use protective packaging. This ranges from things like top loaders for individual cards and sandwiching (place bundles of cards between 2 materials, such as toploaders or cardboard) to using bubble envelopes. Protective packaging ensure the cards stay safe in the mail and help in the event the item is ripped. This isn't massively common but especially for thin letters containing just a few cards it happens enough to warrant toploaders and so on. Furthermore they prevent bending.

    Get recorded delivery. If you're ever sending anyone something and there's potential they could say they didn't receive make sure you send recorded. If they claim it hasn't arrived you can check for their signature. Furthermore if the item is lost in the mail you can use recorded delivery as evidence that the delivery company lost it and claim back on it.

    For expensive items consider using special delivery. Might not apply but I've had to send small amounts of cards totaling more than £100 before. Special delivery gives you peace of mind.

    For larger or heavy items consider using courier services. Royal mail is fine for sending small packages and letters but larger or heavier parcels soon become very expensive to send. Couriers do this cheaper. Again probably doesn't apply to you.

    If you've got any questions about any of this feel free to ask
    • #1
    • Thread Starter

    Thanks so much for the help ^.^
Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 23, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

    Sponsored features:

    Making money from your own website

    Need some cash?

    How to make money running your own website.

    Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

    Handle your digital footprint

    What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Write a reply...
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.