Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this is in the wrong section but I didn't know where to put it.

Basically, I just received a rather convincing email from "Apple" telling me that my Apple ID had been used on another device to purchase an Apple Music membership. Normally I'm pretty good at spotting these things, but this one was designed to look identical to the invoices that Apple usually send. Really, I should have been suspicious that they were using my back-up email rather than my actual email, but I have all my email accounts re-routed to my phone anyway so this could just have been a coincidence if just one email account had been breached (and it was an old, less secure one).

It contained a link at the bottom saying you can cancel this within two weeks, and having never used Apple Music I thought that this may be akin to some sort of trial period. So I foolishly clicked on the link and it led me to a '403 Forbidden' page. Normally these things have forms to fill in your details, but this one didn't so I haven't actually told them anything. I immediately changed all my passwords to anything I was logged into on my phone, but am I still in danger of having details stolen if some sort of virus is lingering on my phone simply from clicking the link?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by JRKinder)
    Sorry if this is in the wrong section but I didn't know where to put it.

Basically, I just received a rather convincing email from "Apple" telling me that my Apple ID had been used on another device to purchase an Apple Music membership. Normally I'm pretty good at spotting these things, but this one was designed to look identical to the invoices that Apple usually send. Really, I should have been suspicious that they were using my back-up email rather than my actual email, but I have all my email accounts re-routed to my phone anyway so this could just have been a coincidence if just one email account had been breached (and it was an old, less secure one).

It contained a link at the bottom saying you can cancel this within two weeks, and having never used Apple Music I thought that this may be akin to some sort of trial period. So I foolishly clicked on the link and it led me to a '403 Forbidden' page. Normally these things have forms to fill in your details, but this one didn't so I haven't actually told them anything. I immediately changed all my passwords to anything I was logged into on my phone, but am I still in danger of having details stolen if some sort of virus is lingering on my phone simply from clicking the link?
    Totally fake, nothing to worry about!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    Totally fake, nothing to worry about!
    Oh I know it's a fake email, but I'm worried that the link itself may have malware embedded into it. Apple has in-built security software, but I'm not sure whether it would block something like this (since some malicious programmes can be quite adept at avoiding security programmes).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.