Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I took a gap year to retake an exam to get ABB. I was a bit silly when applying to unis and didn't go to any open days or properly looked into their courses because I thought I would be happy wherever and that the courses would be all pretty similar.

When it got round to choosing which universities to put as my firm/insurance, I was set on Sheffield and then Cardiff. However, after visiting Sheffield and having a really bad gut feeling about the location, I started to panic and over think all of my choices and the course.

In the end I put Southampton (conditional to getting an A in retake) and then Cardiff (unconditional offer) as my back up in a panic because it was the final day.
    My retake when absolutely awful so I didn't plan on getting into Southampton (which I already had my doubts about due to the city), however when results day came around, I had been accepted and given a firm offer. I wasn't excited at all, and actually began to panic, wishing I had got into Cardiff.

I went up to Cardiff a day after results and loved the city and spoke to admissions tutor and students about the course and it really suited me, more so than Southampton, unfortunately they now don't have any places on the course through clearing so I have to wait for someone to drop out or go to Southampton.

I am really really uncertain on Southampton as a university and the course they are offering, it's ok but its not ideal for me.

Now I don't know whether to withdraw my application and reapply for next year (when I'm 20) to get into Cardiff/ apply to universities that I visit and properly research?

PLEASE HELP WITH ADVICE
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by 13051997)
    I took a gap year to retake an exam to get ABB. I was a bit silly when applying to unis and didn't go to any open days or properly looked into their courses because I thought I would be happy wherever and that the courses would be all pretty similar.

When it got round to choosing which universities to put as my firm/insurance, I was set on Sheffield and then Cardiff. However, after visiting Sheffield and having a really bad gut feeling about the location, I started to panic and over think all of my choices and the course.

In the end I put Southampton (conditional to getting an A in retake) and then Cardiff (unconditional offer) as my back up in a panic because it was the final day.
    My retake when absolutely awful so I didn't plan on getting into Southampton (which I already had my doubts about due to the city), however when results day came around, I had been accepted and given a firm offer. I wasn't excited at all, and actually began to panic, wishing I had got into Cardiff.

I went up to Cardiff a day after results and loved the city and spoke to admissions tutor and students about the course and it really suited me, more so than Southampton, unfortunately they now don't have any places on the course through clearing so I have to wait for someone to drop out or go to Southampton.

I am really really uncertain on Southampton as a university and the course they are offering, it's ok but its not ideal for me.

Now I don't know whether to withdraw my application and reapply for next year (when I'm 20) to get into Cardiff/ apply to universities that I visit and properly research?

PLEASE HELP WITH ADVICE
    Hello

Well, that's quite a situation. I feel for you and I'm sorry to hear that you've got yourself into such a confusing time.

Put simply, I'd say yes. Wait. You need to be 100% on your course and location and even then, it's not 'need', you want to be 100%!
    I'd say take another year, work a little, save up some money, do a little research about all these places, visit all open days and make an informed decision.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Just ring Cardiff! If they gave you an unconditional offer they clearly want you!!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by 13051997)

PLEASE HELP WITH ADVICE
    Phone them up and ask if they have a space. If they don't then I would wait and don't go to Southampton, especially if you didn't like the feel of it or anything.

Cardiff is a beautiful city! So I also second to wait until next year! Your age doesn't matter tbf!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.