Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everybody.

I received my GCSE English Controlled Assessment (Postal Moderation) results back today from my teacher; I achieved 25/40 from Reading Literary Texts (This is low because I unfortunately had a bereavement while taking the assessment so it lowered my concentration) and I worked this out via the raw to UMS converter and it totalled a D.

My Imaginative Writing came to 36/40, after conversion this was an A, just one mark short of an A*

My Speaking & Listening grade does not have any influence on my final grade but just for clarity that was 25/40 which worked out at a high B.

My question is this, With the combined A & D grade, I'd imagine by averages, it is a low B. However, with my marks totalled as 61/80 this counts as 76.25% overall.

Can anyone clarify what I may need in my exam to achieve an A grade?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by David_Roxx)
    Hello everybody.

I received my GCSE English Controlled Assessment (Postal Moderation) results back today from my teacher; I achieved 25/40 from Reading Literary Texts (This is low because I unfortunately had a bereavement while taking the assessment so it lowered my concentration) and I worked this out via the raw to UMS converter and it totalled a D.

My Imaginative Writing came to 36/40, after conversion this was an A, just one mark short of an A*

My Speaking & Listening grade does not have any influence on my final grade but just for clarity that was 25/40 which worked out at a high B.

My question is this, With the combined A & D grade, I'd imagine by averages, it is a low B. However, with my marks totalled as 61/80 this counts as 76.25% overall.

This is based off the June 2015 grade boundaries.
    The total course is worth 300 UMS overall.

Literary texts = 34 UMS
    Imaginative = 52 UMS

You need 80% UMS for an A.

You need 154 UMS in the exam which correlates to around 63/80 (an A grade)

ReputationRep:
    Many thanks for your response.

It seems I can possibly scrape the A.

OCR just published their boundaries for 2016 and it looks like it hasn't changed.

I managed to achieve 65/80 on a mock we did in class so I'm feeling optimistically positive!

It is just a bummer that a bad event could be the reason I get a B and not an A but if it is 1 or 2 marks out, would it be reasonable asking for a remark?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by David_Roxx;[url="tel:67171128")
    67171128[/url]]Many thanks for your response.

It seems I can possibly scrape the A.

OCR just published their boundaries for 2016 and it looks like it hasn't changed.

I managed to achieve 65/80 on a mock we did in class so I'm feeling optimistically positive!

It is just a bummer that a bad event could be the reason I get a B and not an A but if it is 1 or 2 marks out, would it be reasonable asking for a remark?

I've worked out your ums for 2016 and 154 UMS is 61 marks. So as long as you get 61+, you'll have an A.

If you were like 1-3 UMS away, I'd probably talk to your teacher and see which to get remarked because 3 UMS can equal 1 mark.

Also, your coursework marks could change unless they're the ones you've been told you'll get.

Good luck tomorrow, hope you get that A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielwinstanley)
    I've worked out your ums for 2016 and 154 UMS is 61 marks. So as long as you get 61+, you'll have an A.

If you were like 1-3 UMS away, I'd probably talk to your teacher and see which to get remarked because 3 UMS can equal 1 mark.

Also, your coursework marks could change unless they're the ones you've been told you'll get.

Good luck tomorrow, hope you get that A
    First of all let me say thanks for finding this out for me and probably anyone else who has the same problems.

The coursework grades are set in stone; the 36 for Imaginative Writing was an average so I can only assume one was 35 and the other was 37 (Letter & Article); as was the Reading Literary Texts (25/40) bearing in mind I had hit a bump in the road.

The difference of 2 raw marks (63 to 61) could make all the difference as you have said, it has made me feel a bit better but at 09:00am tomorrow, I shall soon see with my own eyes... it annoys me that if I had managed to concentrate on the RLT I'd have an A in the bag!The exam was, in my eyes, pretty simple. The last question was a great one to answer (40 mark question) and I just added every language technique I knew and made it a story (this is what the question asked). The most important thing I didn't do was overthink.

I better stop before I waffle too much! Just feeling that little more excited, even though I only require 2 fewer marks than before! Makes all the difference.

Thank you,

David

ReputationRep:
    First of all let me say thanks for finding this out for me and probably anyone else who has the same problems.

The coursework grades are set in stone; the 36 for Imaginative Writing was an average so I can only assume one was 35 and the other was 37 (Letter & Article); as was the Reading Literary Texts (25/40) bearing in mind I had hit a bump in the road.

The difference of 2 raw marks (63 to 61) could make all the difference as you have said, it has made me feel a bit better but at 09:00am tomorrow, I shall soon see with my own eyes... it annoys me that if I had managed to concentrate on the RLT I'd have an A in the bag!The exam was, in my eyes, pretty simple. The last question was a great one to answer (40 mark question) and I just added every language technique I knew and made it a story (this is what the question asked). The most important thing I didn't do was overthink.

I better stop before I waffle too much! Just feeling that little more excited, even though I only require 2 fewer marks than before! Makes all the difference.

Thank you,

David
    You're welcome, good luck tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    Hello everybody.

What did you get?

ReputationRep:
    I got a B. My coursework was better than i thought but I fell short on the exam.

I was one mark away from an A* on one piece, one mark short of an A of another piece but my exam was 117/180 UMS

I'm happy though as I was doing another GCSE and an Access Course while working and volunteering at the same time all in the space of 9 months!

ReputationRep:
    I got a B. My coursework was better than i thought but I fell short on the exam.

I was one mark away from an A* on one piece, one mark short of an A of another piece but my exam was 117/180 UMS

I'm happy though as I was doing another GCSE and an Access Course while working and volunteering at the same time all in the space of 9 months!
    Well done!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.