Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine recently got into The University of Sheffield to study Law, the entry requirements for the course are AAA yet she got A*BC. I'm staying on at college for a third year and will likely end up with AAC, what are the chances that I'll be accepted at the same university for the same course? How high are the entry standards for Sheffield?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imani_ad)
    A friend of mine recently got into The University of Sheffield to study Law, the entry requirements for the course are AAA yet she got A*BC. I'm staying on at college for a third year and will likely end up with AAC, what are the chances that I'll be accepted at the same university for the same course? How high are the entry standards for Sheffield?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In order for them to even consider you, you'll need to be predicted at least AAA for A2s. Generally, people who get in with those grades were predicted the grades but missed out on their offer and were accepted anyway. I doubt they'd give you an offer if those were your predictions. It might also be a good idea to check how Sheffield feel about resits; some universities will ignore any resits you do and just look at the grades you got the first time around – if so, look for universities that accept resits. What were your AS grades or your grades last year?

ReputationRep:
    not for law but for physics if you get AAB(AS) with the B in further math, they will give you an offer of either AAB or AAA. Not sure about Law

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samendrag)
    not for law but for physics if you get AAB(AS) with the B in further math, they will give you an offer of either AAB or AAA. Not sure about Law
    It doesn't really work like that. If your predicted grades are above the entry requirements, they'll generally give you the typical offer e.g. if you're predicted A*AA and they need AAA, they'll give you an offer of AAA. It won't reflect your AS grades at all really, because if you're saying you can get what they want, then they'll go on that basis.

Also, Law is competitive I must admit, but the subject the B is in isn't really considered by the university, they'll just include the specific subjects they require at a certain grade within your offer.

ReputationRep:
    im pretty sure the subject is considered as it is a subject that is closely related to the field, like maths, further maths is a step up from that, ucl and oxbridge will consider the subject, my family relative is a part of the admissions team at cambridge. Trust me they consider the subject

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samendrag)
    im pretty sure the subject is considered as it is a subject that is closely related to the field, like maths, further maths is a step up from that, ucl and oxbridge will consider the subject, my family relative is a part of the admissions team at cambridge. Trust me they consider the subject
    What I meant was, they won't give you an offer based on the grades that you got in AS. So just because you got a B in further maths which they may consider a step up, they won't just offer you AAB because that's what they think you'll get if they're asking for AAA in general. I think maybe we're both talking about different things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmaLouise759)
    What I meant was, they won't give you an offer based on the grades that you got in AS. So just because you got a B in further maths which they may consider a step up, they won't just offer you AAB because that's what they think you'll get if they're asking for AAA in general. I think maybe we're both talking about different things.
    Ahhh.. sorry i misunderstood you, but yea i guess predicted grades are based on AS and i am expecting AAA anyway, i will be surprised if i get AAB offer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.