Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Speeding watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    Speeding in his old car. He never got to drive the new one haha.
    serious bad luck there

ReputationRep:
    Someone where I lived was banned from driving the same day he passed his test

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Someone where I lived was banned from driving the same day he passed his test
    wow
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    My half nephew got his 2nd speeding ticket and lost his licence 2 days before his first 2 years ended

ReputationRep:
    went 145 mph on the motorway the other week in my mates BMW 3 series convertable. We were fllllllllllying!! was so cool wudnt have bin if we crashed tho lol but hes a good driver

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiksilver)
    does anyone else have any points on their license - i drove past a camera yesterday (on an empty road ) and it flashed :eek:

Dude, im sorry, i fear that is a point for you :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jay9386)
    went 145 mph on the motorway the other week in my mates BMW 3 series convertable. We were fllllllllllying!! was so cool wudnt have bin if we crashed tho lol but hes a good driver
    It only takes one little screw up!

ASK ME

(Original post by Hayley...)
    The force of impact at 35mph is over a third of that at 30mph, and that's only a 5mph difference.

you realise what you said means that it would actually be less harmful to hit someone at 35 than 30?

incidentally, if you speed greatly on the motorway, even if you don't get caught you'll be paying for it in terms of your much higher fuel consumption /mile.

also, is it just me, or whenever I have driven in the actual countryside it's usually been on these truly evil one-car-wide lanes with passing places, oh, every mile or so, loads of blind bends, huge hedges so you can't see who is coming, etc etc..

so I usually end up going slower than I would in town because you really have to creep round these bends when you can't see who (if anyone) is coming,.. and the bends are so frequent it's pointless to try and speed up between them etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    you realise what you said means that it would actually be less harmful to hit someone at 35 than 30?
    re-read; it says the force at 35 is 1.333x force at 30

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jay9386)
    How bloody irresponsible is that. It doesn't matter how much of a good driver you are, at 145mph the slightest bump could send you out of control.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raagyone)
    How bloody irresponsible is that. It doesn't matter how much of a good driver you are, at 145mph the slightest bump could send you out of control.
    yeah... although it wouldve been good if they had spun out in the middle of the night.. clear roads, no one about, early enough for the police to fix it up so it doesnt affect anyone else.

that'd learn em good.

although 145 on a track sounds like mighty good fun

(Original post by kikzen)
    re-read; it says the force at 35 is 1.333x force at 30
    nope, it says "force of impact at 35mph is over a third of that at 30mph"

not "over a third again", "over a third", so 1/3 * force at 30, not 1 1/3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiksilver)
    does anyone else have any points on their license - i drove past a camera yesterday (on an empty road ) and it flashed :eek:
    got 3, pulled over on motorway doin 86, but since then i been good..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    nope, it says "force of impact at 35mph is over a third of that at 30mph"

not "over a third again", "over a third", so 1/3 * force at 30, not 1 1/3
    over a third OF THAT at that.

so its 30 mph + 1/3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    they're gonna put pics of ppl who have died coz of ppl speeding on the cams now.....but if ppl r speeding then they wont c them. will they? :confused:
    And if they have a good luck and take their eyes off the road?...! Has this been thought through???

over a third OF THAT at that.

so its 30 mph + 1/3
    no, over a third of that means over 1/3*original thing.

As we were told at school, "of means multiply"!

for example:

The fruit at Asda is half the price of that at Morrisons. - the asda fruit costs 1/2*morrisons price

Jessica's wages are twice that of Katie's - Jessica earns £200 while Katie earns £100 - by your logic, this would be expressed as "Jessica's wages are the same of that Katie earns".

edited to sound less silly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    no, over a third of that means over 1/3*original thing.

As we were told at school, "of means multiply"!

for example:

The fruit at Asda is half the price of that at Morrisons. - the asda fruit costs 1/2*morrisons price

Jessica's wages are twice that of Katie's - Jessica earns £200 while Katie earns £100 - by your logic, this would be expressed as "Jessica's wages are the same of that Katie earns".

edited to sound less silly
    you silly girl

over a third means *3

BUT
    re-reading the sentence i think the way shes written it is wrong. so you are right (as much as it pains me to say it ), but i still think she means what im saying

ReputationRep:
    how about "the impact at 35mph is a third more than the impact at 30mph". i can see that people are either very bored or quite pedantic....

ReputationRep:
    you silly girl

over a third means *3

BUT
    re-reading the sentence i think the way shes written it is wrong. so you are right (as much as it pains me to say it ), but i still think she means what im saying
    surely 6 isnt over a third of 2?

EDIT: well 6 is over two-thirds....but so is 4 thirds (and btw thats less than 6) but what i meant to say is that "over a third means *3 doesnt seem right to my. but then again im no mathematician.

EDIT EDIT: i apologise for souding like a **** crana just tells me that by "over a third" u meant "divide by a third" in which case u are right.

a thousand apologies

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.