The Student Room Group

Help:Hit by council tax bill for end of June (apparently my uni course had finished)?

I was in a house of three people. Two of us have been namd on a bill saying we're liable for council tax for the end of june (apparently our course finished on the middle of June depsite our student cards expiring in July and not graduating till July). I am still not working due to health reasons so have not earnt a penny during this period my house mate has just started his grad job (but was not working through june and july). Is my best bet to apply for some sort of discount for being a non/low-earner and how do I go about this? Also am I right that they should have applied a 25% discount to our bill for still living with a student (our other housemate is on a four year course)? Am I even able to backdate benefits so far:I should qualify for employment and support allowance rather than jobseekers? Or alternatively since both myself and my flatmate weren't at uni much in the last bit of term (found it easier writing my dissertation from home..) can we prove that it wasn't our main address easily and get the 50% discount? I am not sure how much time I have before I have to pay as the letter was actually sent to our still to parents house of our still a student former housemate about a month ago?

(next bit is me having a bit of angry rant)
I wasn't planning on claiming benefits, my parents are letting me live at theirs rent fee and buying food and when I looked at the ESA form it upset me -I hate admitting how much I can't do. However, my anger at the government targeting young people so much with their policies is making me feel like **** it, if they're going to try and take what little money I have, I might as well claim what I am entitled to) .
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by xfirekittyx

I was in a house of three people. Two of us have been namd on a bill saying we're liable for council tax for the end of june (apparently our course finished on the middle of June depsite our student cards expiring in July and not graduating till July). I am still not working due to health reasons so have not earnt a penny during this period my house mate has just started his grad job (but was not working through june and july). Is my best bet to apply for some sort of discount for being a non/low-earner and how do I go about this? Also am I right that they should have applied a 25% discount to our bill for still living with a student (our other housemate is on a four year course)? Am I even able to backdate benefits so far:I should qualify for employment and support allowance rather than jobseekers? Or alternatively since both myself and my flatmate weren't at uni much in the last bit of term (found it easier writing my dissertation from home..) can we prove that it wasn't our main address easily and get the 50% discount? I am not sure how much time I have before I have to pay as the letter was actually sent to our still to parents house of our still a student former housemate about a month ago?

(next bit is me having a bit of angry rant)
I wasn't planning on claiming benefits, my parents are letting me live at theirs rent fee and buying food and when I looked at the ESA form it upset me -I hate admitting how much I can't do. However, my anger at the government targeting young people so much with their policies is making me feel like **** it, if they're going to try and take what little money I have, I might as well claim what I am entitled to) .

I m incredibly sorry but it goes from the last day of attendance in the unis books rather than your graduation date. So look at if you can prove that you didn't live there at that time. I believe if there are two of you, the 25% discount becomes irrelevant but I could be wrong.
Original post by claireestelle
I m incredibly sorry but it goes from the last day of attendance in the unis books rather than your graduation date. So look at if you can prove that you didn't live there at that time. I believe if there are two of you, the 25% discount becomes irrelevant but I could be wrong.

Thank you for your reply! Ahh I see, you're right the 25% discount applies if there is only one earner! So if I apply for benefits and backdate so I am also counted as disregarded my other housemate will get 25% off and I'll get whatever reduction they decide to give me on benefits? / We would both have to prove it was not our main property and then we both get 50% reduction? What happens if one of us could prove it and not the other, does it still get reduced because we were presented with a single bill rather than a per person amount?
Thank you for your reply! Ahh I see, you're right the 25% discount applies if there is only one earner! So if I apply for benefits and backdate so I am also counted as disregarded my other housemate will get 25% off and I'll get whatever reduction they decide to give me on benefits? / We would both have to prove it was not our main property and then we both get 50% reduction? What happens if one of us could prove it and not the other, does it still get reduced because we were presented with a single bill rather than a per person amount?

I think the 50% discount is only when no one counts as a an adult, if they decide your housemate lives alone then they'll still only knock 25% off. I'm doubtful they'll backdate benefits to much more than a month i'm afraid although i could be wrong , if you have any savings at all then that will go against you in trying to get your bill reduced.
You'd have to have a good reason for them to backdate benefits.
Reply 5
My local council counts to the day on the graduation certificate #justsaying
Reply 6
Should have applied for benefits as soon as you finished your last exam. You will be liable for council tax from this date. Go and speak your local benefits and council offices
Original post by Tiger Rag
You'd have to have a good reason for them to backdate benefits.

Well in my last week of uni city I was hospitilsed because my GP thought I may have had a stroke as I had unilateral paralysis - turns out I didn't have a stroke but probably a hemiplegic migraine although I'm still dubious as the paralysis lasted longer than 48 hours. I then came home and was pretty much a sleeping zombie for over a month because before the hospitlisation I had an infection near the base of my spine which took 6 weeks of antibiotics to clear. I couldn't do my dissertation for much of that time because I couldn't sit up - I did get a bit of an extension (but not for as long as I had been ill for) so I ended up doing pretty much 4 all nighters in a row to get it in on time (had 3 hours of sleep in that period). I have a long term condition that requires a lot of rest and pacing of activity so forcing myself to do so much work on so little sleep, was very bad for me - hence the zombie like state for so long. I only now feel able to start sorting my life out, and my todo list is nearly 40 item long and a bit overwhelming (and looking at the form feels ovewhelming it also asked a lot of things about my health which I'm not sure I would have answered accurately had I filled it in before because I had been particularly bad for about 3-4 months when I graduated). What chance do you think that has as being accepted as a 'good reason'?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by polysci
My local council counts to the day on the graduation certificate #justsaying

Ooh thank you, that's really helpful as my certificate date is the 23rd of June so later than what they have down!

Also bit of an update, turns out my housemate applied for benefits the week we finished our course - so don't know where I go from, from here?
Reply 9
I had to argue with my council for about 12 months, exchanging several letters, phone calls and proof by friendly health professionals of proof of expenses (I eat an expensive organic diet and take nutritional supplements, and I successfully argued that these are a large and necessary expense and therefore I should have my council tax waived, as I was not employed and had no income, and therefore no means to pay).

I had to make an appeal, and when the appeal was rejected, make a counter appeal, which was successful.

In the end, my bill was cut from 200 to 30.

So if you have my kind of balls, tenacity, and determination to save the money, then do something similar. Most people are weak and give in to the threatening letters - this is what the council relies on to rip people off.
Reply 10
PS. I used to "have" ME/CFS/ADHD/etc. and I fixed myself through diet, exercise, self control and nutritional supplements.

If I can go from being a lazy good for nothing weakling pussy to a Winner at everything, anyone can.

You don't have a disability, but a fixable dietary problem (a more extreme version of what everyone has to some extent these days).
Original post by 41b
PS. I used to "have" ME/CFS/ADHD/etc. and I fixed myself through diet, exercise, self control and nutritional supplements.

If I can go from being a lazy good for nothing weakling pussy to a Winner at everything, anyone can.

You don't have a disability, but a fixable dietary problem (a more extreme version of what everyone has to some extent these days).

um thanks but telling someone they don't have a disability is kind of offensive. I have SLE as well as the CFS (you're not supposed to have both but my post extertional malaise is not explained by pure SLE and I can being a bad period and my inflammatory makers can be down) thanks for your advice but I'm pretty sure lupus is not a 'fixable dietary problem' considering it used to be a death sentence until the last decade or two of medicine... The most improvement I have had in health was was from being prescribed plaquenil and clopidgrel (I also have Hughes syndrome which means my blood is too sticky). If you suggested I came off my medication and tried to fix myself with diet and exercise I would probably have a stroke within two years, another option is renal failure etc...

I do agree that good diet can really aid health in general and speed up recovery from recoverable illnesses. However, are you aware that over 90% of people who are diagnosed with CFS/M.E before the age of 18 make complete recovery regardless of intervention? A lot of children and adolescents with ADHD also significantly improve and no longer meet the DSM requirements in adulthood as the frontal lobe (and it's connectivity) is still rapidly developing until 26 or so. I have learned about ADHD from an academic viewpoint but also one of my closest friends was diagnosed with severe ADHD at university (inattentive type) and she has dramatically improved since being put on her latest medication (first type didn't work, this type only saw the improvement when she was put on a high dosage). She pretty much wouldn't have got her degree (despite me trying to help, constantly reminding her of deadlines and giving her lifts to important/ compulsory stuff so she wouldn't miss it) without the help of medication.She was never lazy - in fact she has to try so many times harder than a neurotypical person to simple things like turn up on time, or keep a room tidy.

However, even if it was just the CFS/M.E ,which is what my initial diagnosis was, I think you are misinformed. I have both had to study it in one of my final year units and met many people with it and they are not lazy. I have met a girl who was so severely disabled with it she couldn't get out of the bed to go toilet by herself, she had to go in a bedpan, and hadn't left the hospital in three months. If she overdoes it with exercise (which is wiggling fingers and toes by that point) it could mean she would get to the point where she would have to be fed intravenously again. So please don't tell me people with it are just 'lazy' maybe it is for a minority of people (and then imo they were misdiagnosed) but this girl had been a 'straight A student' and a promising horse rider before she got sick. I was similar, (you don't get pointe shoes at a young age, three years before a lot of my same aged school friends without sticking to a strict ankle strengthening regime) my school reports state that I was a hardworking/ conscientious student and I recieved numerous effort prizes. When I was too sick to go to school I taught myself AS levels... I didn't just lay in bed when I easily could have and to be honest I think my lack of lazyness is why I am in such a state. I didn't let myself rest and I push and I push myself until I am so run down my infections get severe enough (either that or random internal organ inflammation (yay SLE) ) I end up in hospital yet again.

I am pleased that you are doing well and if you believe you were lazy and never disabled then fair enough ( but i would suggest from the literature it is more probable that you had two conditions which tend to be recoverable from/ greatly improve in the majority of cases by early adulthood and this coincided with dietary change/ improvement in diet sped up recovery)/ . Please don't presume everyone is the same as you. My uncle's health problems according to my grandma is exactly like mine only I am ironically lucky he had it first because he only got diagnosed with the lupus and Hughes syndrome after multiple strokes. He has suffered permanent damage from the last one which is when medical professionals thought to test me too .

Even if it is something that pretty much is solved with diet e.g coeliac disease it does not mean gluten causes the disease, rather something different with their bodies which means they produce the antibodies - they just can get to a symptom free state by avoiding gluten. But by avoiding gluten they are not 'fixed' - a fix/ cure would be a treatment which would allow them to ingest gluten without the autoimmune response/ inflammation (which some researchers are currently developing). *rant over*.
Reply 12
um thanks but telling someone they don't have a disability is kind of offensive. I have SLE as well as the CFS (you're not supposed to have both but my post extertional malaise is not explained by pure SLE and I can being a bad period and my inflammatory makers can be down) thanks for your advice but I'm pretty sure lupus is not a 'fixable dietary problem' considering it used to be a death sentence until the last decade or two of medicine... The most improvement I have had in health was was from being prescribed plaquenil and clopidgrel (I also have Hughes syndrome which means my blood is too sticky). If you suggested I came off my medication and tried to fix myself with diet and exercise I would probably have a stroke within two years, another option is renal failure etc...

I do agree that good diet can really aid health in general and speed up recovery from recoverable illnesses. However, are you aware that over 90% of people who are diagnosed with CFS/M.E before the age of 18 make complete recovery regardless of intervention? A lot of children and adolescents with ADHD also significantly improve and no longer meet the DSM requirements in adulthood as the frontal lobe (and it's connectivity) is still rapidly developing until 26 or so. I have learned about ADHD from an academic viewpoint but also one of my closest friends was diagnosed with severe ADHD at university (inattentive type) and she has dramatically improved since being put on her latest medication (first type didn't work, this type only saw the improvement when she was put on a high dosage). She pretty much wouldn't have got her degree (despite me trying to help, constantly reminding her of deadlines and giving her lifts to important/ compulsory stuff so she wouldn't miss it) without the help of medication.She was never lazy - in fact she has to try so many times harder than a neurotypical person to simple things like turn up on time, or keep a room tidy.

However, even if it was just the CFS/M.E ,which is what my initial diagnosis was, I think you are misinformed. I have both had to study it in one of my final year units and met many people with it and they are not lazy. I have met a girl who was so severely disabled with it she couldn't get out of the bed to go toilet by herself, she had to go in a bedpan, and hadn't left the hospital in three months. If she overdoes it with exercise (which is wiggling fingers and toes by that point) it could mean she would get to the point where she would have to be fed intravenously again. So please don't tell me people with it are just 'lazy' maybe it is for a minority of people (and then imo they were misdiagnosed) but this girl had been a 'straight A student' and a promising horse rider before she got sick. I was similar, (you don't get pointe shoes at a young age, three years before a lot of my same aged school friends without sticking to a strict ankle strengthening regime) my school reports state that I was a hardworking/ conscientious student and I recieved numerous effort prizes. When I was too sick to go to school I taught myself AS levels... I didn't just lay in bed when I easily could have and to be honest I think my lack of lazyness is why I am in such a state. I didn't let myself rest and I push and I push myself until I am so run down my infections get severe enough (either that or random internal organ inflammation (yay SLE) ) I end up in hospital yet again.

I am pleased that you are doing well and if you believe you were lazy and never disabled then fair enough ( but i would suggest from the literature it is more probable that you had two conditions which tend to be recoverable from/ greatly improve in the majority of cases by early adulthood and this coincided with dietary change/ improvement in diet sped up recovery)/ . Please don't presume everyone is the same as you. My uncle's health problems according to my grandma is exactly like mine only I am ironically lucky he had it first because he only got diagnosed with the lupus and Hughes syndrome after multiple strokes. He has suffered permanent damage from the last one which is when medical professionals thought to test me too .

Even if it is something that pretty much is solved with diet e.g coeliac disease it does not mean gluten causes the disease, rather something different with their bodies which means they produce the antibodies - they just can get to a symptom free state by avoiding gluten. But by avoiding gluten they are not 'fixed' - a fix/ cure would be a treatment which would allow them to ingest gluten without the autoimmune response/ inflammation (which some researchers are currently developing). *rant over*.

Modern medicine and most diagnoses are mostly a racket to keep doctors employed and in the money. If people got cured there would be only emergency doctors left and Big Pharma (and GPs) would go out of business.

If I had full control over you, your diet, your lifestyle and your behaviour, I could fix you for life within two years, and you would feel as beautiful on the inside as you would look on the outside.

Anyway, best of luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending